Oumuamua

The interstellar object named Oumuamua demonstrated an unexplained acceleration. The acceleration does not appear to have been caused by outgassing and there is speculation that the object may have been behaving like a solar sail. The problem with the solar sail theory is that apparently scientists don't know of any naturally occuring material that would demonstrate the effect.

I think something may have been lost in translation regarding the solar sail since I have seen those black and white tops that spin in a vacuum. However I suppose they might not be a "natural" material or perhaps are not efficient enough to create the effect seen on Oumuamua.

Anyway Oumuamua has sailed into the distance so we will never know. Although the odds are against it I like the idea that we might just have had a flyby by junk from an advanced civilisation or maybe even a live probe.

I read about. Strong assertion. Although I have no doubts about existence of other advanced civilizations (there is very big chance at least if we consider the size of the universe...), I think it is just space rock an there must be other explanation.

Budvar10:
Although I have no doubts about existence of other advanced civilizations

I do have doubts.

The experiment has being continuous on earth for about 3 billion years and only one "intelligent" species has emerged.

...R

since I have seen those black and white tops that spin in a vacuum.

sp.“radiometer”

Robin2:
I do have doubts.

The experiment has being continuous on earth for about 3 billion years and only one "intelligent" species has emerged.

...R

Define "intelligent". On Earth there is extant only one species that nobody disputes has some intelligence. However that does not mean that there are not others. Also unless you hail from Africa you have both Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens DNA both of which seem to be accepted as intelligent. You can quibble about them being different species but the term species is an artificial construct.

DNA has the letters A, T, C & G but we have already produced organisms using additional letters. That shows that life as we know it is not restricted to the limited form of DNA that occurs naturally on Earth. However there is no reason to presume that life is limited to our form of DNA, to DNA at all, or even to be being based on Carbon, with Silcon a prime contender. Imagine a silcon based life form that developed silcon based computers!

If you add into the mix that new extra solar planets being discovered on a daily basis the odds of the Drake equation are changing continuously.

I have completely lost track of the number of moons in our own Solar System.

AWOL:
sp."radiometer"

No! No!

Or maybe that should be Yes! Yes!

What I had seen was a Crookes radiometer which requires an imperfect vacuum.
That puts the Oumuamua acceleration firm back on the unexplained because natural materials don't act as solar sails.

"A Nichols radiometer does demonstrate photon pressure. It is much more sensitive than the Crookes radiometer and it operates in a complete vacuum, whereas operation of the Crookes radiometer requires an imperfect vacuum."

ardly:
Define “intelligent”. On Earth there is extant only one species that nobody disputes has some intelligence. However that does not mean that there are not others. Also unless you hail from Africa you have both Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens DNA both of which seem to be accepted as intelligent. You can quibble about them being different species but the term species is an artificial construct.

I was not aware that “species” as a concept is in doubt?

There is only one intelligent species on earth now. The best of the rest is so far behind that there is no comparison.

You have not shaken my conviction.

To be honest I would not be surprised if science were to announce that the whole concept of the universe (outer space with millions of different galaxies) is wrong. They may all have fizzled out millions of years ago.

…R

There is only one intelligent species on earth now.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

ardly:
Define "intelligent".

One of the characteristic features of an intelligent element is that of its capability of reproduction.

Then the following post is questionable?

Robin2:

Robin2:
I do have doubts.

...R

Out of the context little bit, you have omitted: "there is very big chance at least if we consider the size of the universe...".
Although we have no proof, there is very big chance that we a not the only. However, there is possibility that we are the only intelligent species. Ok, I should write: "I believe..." :slight_smile:

ardly:
Define "intelligent". On Earth there is extant only one species that nobody disputes has some intelligence. However that does not mean that there are not others. Also unless you hail from Africa you have both Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens DNA both of which seem to be accepted as intelligent. You can quibble about them being different species but the term species is an artificial construct.

A lot of things do not have to be black or white...

There is another aspect: the time. Since when we became intelligent and what does it mean in compare to age of the universe?

GolamMostafa:
One of the characteristic features of an intelligent element is that of its capability of reproduction.

Really? :o

GolamMostafa:

An oak tree?

...R

Robin2:
An oak tree?

...R

Don't diss the ents.

Robin2:
I was not aware that “species” as a concept is in doubt?

There is only one intelligent species on earth now. The best of the rest is so far behind that there is no comparison.

There are regular fist fights about “species” now. At the heart of it is that we have come to realise that the Darwinian “tree” is not a tree at all because branches split off but then recombine later. One definition of a ‘species’ is that members can produce viable offspring. It was considered that Neanderthals were a separate species from Homo Sapiens but the discovery that most living humans (apart from Africans) have some Neanderthal DNA means they interbred - so are they the same species? On the other hand Homo Sapiens migrated out of Africa and met Neanderthals and interbred (note Homo Sapiens in Africa without Neanderthal DNA) - so are they a different species? All that before you bring in Hobbits, and Ents. Neanderthals had larger brains than us. I think humanoid intelligence evolved more than once on Earth.

As for the “rest” you seem to be mixing up intelligence with technology. Elephants, whales and dolpins all have large brains. They don’t have technology but I don’t see how we can really be sure just how intelligent they are, they may be able to perform intellectual feats humans cannot.

Budvar10:
... I think it is just space rock an there must be other explanation.

Just as Oumuamua flies by the Arecibo Observatory goes off-line and we miss a prime chance to study it, no coincidence that.

Oumuamua flies by

Isn’t it a Pink Floyd album?

AWOL:
Isn't it a Pink Floyd album?

Almost, that was 'Ummagumma'. They also did 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'A Saucerful of Secrets'.

ardly:
Almost, that was 'Ummagumma'. They also did 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'A Saucerful of Secrets'.

..Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, The Final Cut, and best of all, Wish you were here (among others)

Maybe next album.

According Wikipedia, Ummagumma supposedly comes from Cabridge slang. :o Is Oumuamua from Harvard slang?

But seriously, Wikipedia article about Oumuamua is interesting.