Our drone-camera project.

Hi guys ! :) Me and my friends are working on a project for school (we're in 12th grade). Our goal is to create a drone able to follow a car while filming it. We already have the drone (Hexadrone F550 Flame Wheel), and the camera. 8) I will pilot the drone myself, so we have to make an automated camera following the car. We want to use ultrasound transmitter/receiver to guide the camera following the horizontal axis and an altimeter to guide the camera following the vertical axis. We'd like to apply this on arduino hardware. We'd like to know how to use a transmitter and a receiver in our project (we are beginners :confused: ) What sensors should we use ? Thanks for your answers !

You pilot the drone and want the on board camera to track a car? How close will you be to the car, how big is the car (real/toy) and will it be moving/static/both.

How do you figure to use an altimeter to determine camera tilt angle?

How will the ultrasound determine how to pan the camera? Is there a ultrasound transmitter on the car and receivers on the drone trying to determine where the sound is coming from or what.

Moving object tracking (especially from a moving platform) is not an easy task and is probably well beyond the abilities of an Arduino. You might consider using a laptop with vision software that is viewing video telemetry from the drone camera and getting it to send gimbal pan/tilt commands.

so we have to make an automated camera following the car.

Probably not going to happen. Plenty of previous project posting concerning “tracking” various things, most of which didn’t go anywhere. You might look at the below project for ideas.

You pilot the drone and want the on board camera to track a car? How close will you be to the car, how big is the car (real/toy) and will it be moving/static/both.

Absolutely. The drone is for a race between schools. The drone is around 4-6 meters above the car. The car has been built by some pupils of our high school. It's moving at 30 km/h.

How do you figure to use an altimeter to determine camera tilt angle?

We actually don't know yet but the altimeter isn't our problem right now...

Is there a ultrasound transmitter on the car and receivers on the drone trying to determine where the sound is coming from or what.

Exactly., the transmitter's on the car and two receivers are on the drone.