Out of Power!

Well, being a former youth hockey coach, former program manager, and currently a fencing coach, I don't do much flincing anymore :slight_smile:

We did put a large soup pan of snow in the fridge to help keep it cold. Seemed to work.
Luckily it wasn't below freezing ouside (just in the 40s (F)) so we didn't have to worry about pipes freezing.

NiHaoMike:
When was the last time you've seen an engineer who didn't have some fat to spare?

There's a seven or eight streets near where I live currently without grid power, they're running everything off the back of a massive trailer that's feeding directly into the local substation down there through cables as thick as your wrist.

I walk past it on my way home from work and boy this thing puts out some heat!

When was the last time you've seen an engineer who didn't have some fat to spare?

About an hour and a half ago, civil engineer looking over survey report on a road. Man, she was hot ! Long legs, short hair, shorts, tee shirt (Arizona remember) and a great smile.

About big generators: Many years ago during one of the nasty storms that the New York area gets, a major bank data center had a power failure. The giant generator did exactly what it was supposed to, it kicked on, then immediately died. Seems the idiot that set it up put it in the ramp leading to the loading dock so people couldn't see it. The ramp (downhill) filled up with water and flooded the generator; sump pump failure. Not to be caught without a contingency plan, they called their supplier and the company sent out a truck mounted generator and pulled it up in the parking lot. They started this one and it ran for an hour and died. Out of fuel. The truck that was supposed to be there twenty minutes after the generator arrived was stuck in traffic made much denser by the storm. But it did arrive after an extra hour and started to refill the generator tank. They were not allowed to start the generator until the refuel finished (safety concerns) so the various managers that were worried about the down time and their jobs, stood watching. The wind kicked up and knocked the fuel hose out of the generator tank and fuel started floating around in the various puddles and small streams the continuing rain was causing. The fire department was called and the fuel company protocols required all motors in the area be shut down and kept down. The fire department had a number of things going on at the time, so a fire marshal was dispatched to take a look and see if an engine company was actually needed. He shut the entire operation down until the rain could wash the fuel away and a proper assessment could be made without the distraction of the storm winds and rain.

20 hours later the some of the employees were allowed to start their cars and go home.

Funny how things just go from bad to worse.

Rob