OUT package and IN report via interrupt transfer

The NIR version is a bargain at only $195 for the bare chip!

Wow, that is very helpful. I was thinking the Arduino was the host (because the final unit will not be connected to a PC- it will just have the Arduino (powered by a cable with GND and 5 V) and the sensor (and an SD card shield/data logger). So I will get a USB host shield and go from there.

Yes, sadly these things are very pricey :frowning:

I think the "static" teacher-student model is what was easy to understand :wink:

The smartphones can be understood as teaching assistants who themselves are students in certain classes (connecting smartphone to PC) and are sophisticated enough to act in a teaching capacity in other classes such as an intro physics discussion/recitation class (smartphone with flash drive).

It is a static model so students don't just become teachers after taking a course or learning enough about teaching to become a future teacher. The limitation is on the hardware so there's no hope to turn a student into a teacher. Our jobs are secure :smiley:

1 Like

Lol! Thank you for all your help. Any recommendations for good tutorials on using HID sensors and library?

One quick question - for an internal interrupt, would I use the register names for the Arduino chip (328/P) or for the host shield (which I don’t have yet, but I assume it may have a diff et chip)? Thanks

You will use neither. The host chip's details are abstracted away into the MAX3421e.cpp/h file. What you will want to run is the USB host shield library V1 USB_desc sketch. It prints the descriptors of your sensor. You can start from there.

Set address
Set configuration
Call BULK_OUT, then call BULK_IN

It's best to try a usb mouse or something with that sketch to see what is printing out. Then you can read the code to see how it's doing it, mod it to learn the code. Unlike USB host library V1, which effectively only has a single .cpp relevant to you to read, the V2 library has many .cpp files and is way too much to absorb. That's why I've kept things simple with just the V1 library. See my link to v1 library a few posts ago.

Interesting. It’s quite clear I would not have gotten very far on this project without your help. I greatly appreciate it. I’m going to dive into this over the weekend and hopefully report some success next week :slight_smile: