OUTPUT VOLTAGE TOO LOW

Hi,

Everything was working fine, but I left my Arduino running overnight and the next day the voltage at the output pins has dropped from 5V to 3.5V, no matter what pin I choose or what sketch I run.

What was it doing overnight? - it was generating a random output voltage from 0 to 5V which was going through an op amp voltage doubler, to provide 0-10V control signal to a control valve.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mitch

How is the board powered when you measure the voltage?

What is the voltage on the 5V pin?

Have you disconnected everything from the board while you are troubleshooting?

Please post your schematic so we can see if your design is correct and has not killed your output pin.

Grumpy_Mike:
Please post your schematic so we can see if your design is correct and has not killed your output pin.

Also include part numbers and the complete schematic.

mlever:
Hi,

Everything was working fine, but I left my Arduino running overnight and the next day the voltage at the output pins has dropped from 5V to 3.5V, no matter what pin I choose or what sketch I run.

What was it doing overnight? - it was generating a random output voltage from 0 to 5V which was going through an op amp voltage doubler, to provide 0-10V control signal to a control valve.

Mitch

Maybe you can use your multimeter (in DC voltage setting) to measure the voltage of the 'Vin' pin (relative to gnd), and also the voltage of the '5V' pin, relative to gnd.

Then, you can disconnect everything from the arduino (ie. disconnect external circuits etc), and then set up a basic arduino sketch code to make any one of your digital pins a logic 'high'. Then use your multimeter to measure that.

Then.... after that...get another spare arduino board, of the same kind...and do the same set of measurements. From those tests, you might be able to get some idea about what needs to be done to get around the issue that you've encountered.

mlever:
Hi,

Mitch

Your battery ran down, plain and simple. You realized this, else you would have spoken up by now.

How exactly does an Arduino 'generate a random output voltage from 0 to 5V'?

INTP:
How exactly does an Arduino 'generate a random output voltage from 0 to 5V'?

Maybe by generating a random code-word associated with voltages in the range 0 to 5V, then passing the code-word to an external D/A.