Overhead wires, solder iron, screwdriver, etc..

I do a lot of stuff on my desk bench. For solder iron, I use TS100, that has a dc power wire that wants to get stuck on EVERYTHING. I also use a heat gun, and some other plug in tools, that I am tired of running over with my chair. Needless to say, yes I am partially clumsy and easily distracted. I want to organize my area, but having trouble designing a better solution.

Has anyone here worked around tools with overhead wires ? My cables / wires are being draped across my desk, some across the floor and get stuck on my solder iron spring stand and cause a crap-alanche.

I have solder iron power wire hang from above, but I would like to set up some type of return take-up spring for the extra slack on the wire, but without it interfearing with the tool itself. Anyone have ideas, please ?

Cup hook on ceiling, pulley and nylon line with a counterweight sufficient to lift just the mid-point of the cord.

I know the pain. The iron cord gets caught on the mini bench vice.

My ironing board (not my soldering iron) is sitting against a shelving unit, its cord tied to a high point on that unit. The length of free cord is just enough to extend to the iron sitting on one end of the board.

Ok, the COUNTER-WEIGHT was the part of this I was looking for. I try rig that up.

I also like how my vacuume cleaner power cord works. Is some spring loaded thing let me pull cord out of it, then sucks it all back on the spool when I hit the foot-peddle.

Am I missing something? Why not just run the wires behind the desk so they're out of the way? That's what I do, and I have like 20 devices that have a cord of some sort...

DrAzzy:
Am I missing something? Why not just run the wires behind the desk so they're out of the way? That's what I do, and I have like 20 devices that have a cord of some sort...

The soldering iron's cable is the biggest pain...

I have a single mains socket attached under the front edge of my desk to plug my soldering iron into for precisely the reasons mentioned in many of the comments above.

PerryBebbington:
I have a single mains socket attached under the front edge of my desk to plug my soldering iron into for precisely the reasons mentioned in many of the comments above.

Most of us would be using a low-voltage temperature controlled iron where the lead to the iron comes from the transformer/ temperature controller. I don't think that would help.

Virtually all of my desks have a 6 or (preferably) 8-way "power board" (or two) mounted under the rear of the desk, keeping cords off the floor.

Virtually all of my desks ....

Hmm how many desks do you have ? :confused:

Hmmm, let’s see, I count four in here and my wife’s and mine at work as well as the “front desk” (which of course, has multiple power points on the back of the “counter” but also has a power board under it).

:grinning:

Oh..thought you had multiple electronics bench type of desks!

Watcher:
The soldering iron's cable is the biggest pain...

Yes it is. I am not talking about a computer power cord or anything obviously trivial - all of that stuff is tucked away from me as far as possible and the only wires I have on the desk are the ones I need.

I also use air-brush too. I still have not got used to that air hose with a mind of it's own. It is WORSE than solder iron! I can put the airbrush down on stand. If the hose is twisted in the right way, it will actually pop back out of the stand, flip around and face-dive straight onto the hardest & closest surface. I have completely destroyed the needle and nozzle on the front so many times, I had to quit trying to use the airbrush altogether.

Watcher:
Oh..thought you had multiple electronics bench type of desks!

Well, they vary from time to time ...

Did I not mention "wife"?

I also use air-brush too.

Is that for painting?

I have a long power strip on the back of my bench. I think 6’.

pstrip.jpg

I use wall mounted 3 compartment trunking which carries a number of dual gang 13amp outlets as well as CAT5/6 cabling and RJ45 outlets.

The above is mounted on the wall behind my bench along its entire length.
I even have a trunking mountable RCD protection, wifi access point and (home made) 5v/12v power supply with binding posts on the trunking.

I can always add additional sockets or other fittings when required.
That was the only really "future proof" solution I could think of as beforehand I could never stop adding more a more power strips and other cabling !

fdt1.jpg

pvc-trunking-500x500.jpg

fdt1.jpg

pvc-trunking-500x500.jpg