Overkill project, but then again, I'm known for overkill. lol

Greetings!

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but various searches have turned up few results as to what I’m doing and hope to accomplish. As a side note, be forewarned that I am not an Arduino user yet, this is still in the planning stages, so I’m sure during programming, I will be pulling out all my hair. But anything worth doing is worth over doing, right?

My goal is to create a touch screen controlled lighting control for my vehicle warning lights. The idea is simple, 8 relays and a touch screen. I don’t need any sensors, phone control, or anything like that. Just a touch screen display with a bunch of buttons with custom labels that change color depending on status. I may add at a later date some static monitors, like battery voltage, current and such, but that will come later.

My question is this: I have turned up a few Arduino boards, specifically the Uno R3 and the Mega 2560 R3. Both are relatively inexpensive. Will the Uno R3 do what I want, touch screen and 8 channel relay board or should I go with the Mega 2560? My research has shown that a touch screen on the Uno will eat up all the I/O and not leave enough for the relay board. I’ve seen some articles on serial control for the relay board (which may actually be beneficial) but very little info on implementing that.

Thanks all!

Jerry

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you can start with the touch screen.
For example a capacitive touch screen from Adafruit : 2.8 TFT LCD with Cap Touch Breakout Board w/MicroSD Socket : ID 2090 : $39.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
It can be used with a Arduino Uno or a Metro : Adafruit METRO 328 - Arduino Compatible - with Headers [ATmega328] : ID 2488 : $17.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
The analog pins are digital pins as well (for the Arduino Uno), so 8 pins for relay is still possible.

What about using your phone to provide the touch screen - see this RemoteXY Thread. It would mean that someone else has done all the complex stuff for you.

...R

I have thought about using my phone as the touch screen, but I was really looking for a standalone device. I already have the touch screen and Mega 2560, so I might as well use it. Another reason was I may want to add additional functions later which would make the phone option impractical. Thanks for the advice though.

Ok, here’s an update on my project - I’m am no good at software. It was a good idea, but beyond my technical capabilities.

If there is anyone willing to write the code for me, I will gladly pay for it. (hope I’m not violating any rules here) Basically I want a screen with 9 buttons - 1-8 to control relays, #9 to turn them all off. For buttons 1-8, I would like to them have basic text descriptions and change color for status (1 color for off, another for on)

JChmura:
If there is anyone willing to write the code for me, I will gladly pay for it.

You will need to ask in the Gigs and Collaborations section.

...R

Thanks! I will make a post there.

JChmura:
Greetings!

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but various searches have turned up few results as to what I'm doing and hope to accomplish. As a side note, be forewarned that I am not an Arduino user yet, this is still in the planning stages, so I'm sure during programming, I will be pulling out all my hair. But anything worth doing is worth over doing, right?

My goal is to create a touch screen controlled lighting control for my vehicle warning lights. The idea is simple, 8 relays and a touch screen. I don't need any sensors, phone control, or anything like that. Just a touch screen display with a bunch of buttons with custom labels that change color depending on status. I may add at a later date some static monitors, like battery voltage, current and such, but that will come later.

My question is this: I have turned up a few Arduino boards, specifically the Uno R3 and the Mega 2560 R3. Both are relatively inexpensive. Will the Uno R3 do what I want, touch screen and 8 channel relay board or should I go with the Mega 2560? My research has shown that a touch screen on the Uno will eat up all the I/O and not leave enough for the relay board. I've seen some articles on serial control for the relay board (which may actually be beneficial) but very little info on implementing that.

Thanks all!

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I am not sure whether you are sensitive to the cost.
If NOT, you can try to change everything into bluetooth wireless connection and using arduino to be the central controller for touch screen and all the relays.

This will allows you to do the expansion and have much flexiblity(when you want 10 or even more relays).
You can try nordic solution to easily archieve the multiple inputs case