Paid help dual 7 segment display

Hello everyone,

I am attempting to create a product, starting with a prototype. The goal is to have a dual 7-segment display that displays the numbers 01-99. 01 should be displayed in green, and 02-99 in red. The user presses up and down to increase or decrease the number displayed, and there are no automatic changing of numbers, only manual by the user. Going down to 00 would turn the device off.

I would like the number height to be about 1 inch, and the best 7-segment I found that fit these specs is the sba15-11egwa kingbright.

I am in the SF Bay Area. This is my first post. Hoping someone could help me out.

I could help you out.
It will take me a couple of hours @$50, so towards $200 will be a reasonable price, to be paid by PayPal (additional costs of $35)
Would that be in range of your budget?
Regards, Mark

Is this a one-off or do you need multiples of it? The reason I ask is that I already have 1" displays with SPI interface.

The post also appears here with more detail: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=670647.msg4513875#msg4513875

For a simple construction, and to keep within the power ratings of say an Arduino Nano, a multiplexed display configuration could be used. For maximum brightness, 2 driver chips would be required in addition. The selected devices are common anode (and on the limits of what can be driven directly) so high power shift registers would be an option. Then it starts making sense to go straight for a printed circuit board instead of a prototype board even for the first prototype.

In either case, the programming is not that difficult and there are plenty of count up / count down timer examples around.

If very consistent brightness between red and green is required, the some experimentation with current limiting resistors or multiplexing time slots may be necessary.

cedarlakeinstruments:
Is this a one-off or do you need multiples of it? The reason I ask is that I already have 1" displays with SPI interface.

I will need multiples of it after doing a survey with the prototype.

6v6gt:
The post also appears here with more detail: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=670647.msg4513875#msg4513875

For a simple construction, and to keep within the power ratings of say an Arduino Nano, a multiplexed display configuration could be used. For maximum brightness, 2 driver chips would be required in addition. The selected devices are common anode (and on the limits of what can be driven directly) so high power shift registers would be an option. Then it starts making sense to go straight for a printed circuit board instead of a prototype board even for the first prototype.

In either case, the programming is not that difficult and there are plenty of count up / count down timer examples around.

If very consistent brightness between red and green is required, the some experimentation with current limiting resistors or multiplexing time slots may be necessary.

Thank you! I can’t find any single or dual 7 segment displays that can display both red and green on the website - Any recommendations? All I see is the 1” rgb, but that is too expensive and has too many features for my use.

Once I have a working pro type I will do a small 200 person survey and make final tweaks. I am going to make the case in Fusion 360 but I am still unsure on then dimensions since I haven’t worked with 7-segment displays before.

Can my device be powered by triple a batteries?

If you're worried about costs, you might consider using a standard display like you've identified, but augment it with a few bright green LEDs to illuminate when the counter is at 01.

This might suffice for a prototype. If you get interest, you could do a more exhaustive search.

Just a thought.

abhatia117:
Thank you! I can’t find any single or dual 7 segment displays that can display both red and green on the website - Any recommendations? All I see is the 1” rgb, but that is too expensive and has too many features for my use.

Once I have a working pro type I will do a small 200 person survey and make final tweaks. I am going to make the case in Fusion 360 but I am still unsure on then dimensions since I haven’t worked with 7-segment displays before.

Can my device be powered by triple a batteries?

1. Maybe I have misunderstood something. The display type which you quote in your OP (SBA15-11EGWA Kingbright) appears capable of displaying both Red and Green segments (but maybe not simultaneously with good visual effect) https://docs.rs-online.com/c726/0900766b81405bc0.pdf

2. 6volts would be better. 4.5volts probably also but with reduced display intensity.