Pair and send commands to robotic lawn mover over bluetooth

Hi,
I have a question regarding bluetooth and arduino. I just bought a robotic lawn mower (Robomow RS622) and of course I want to "hack" it and make the robot a bit more competent.

For now the only way to control the lawn mower is by the onboard buttons or via an app that connects to the robot by bluetooth.

I would like to know if the robot is out lawing, how often it goes out, how long it is out etc. I'm planning to attach an Arduino to the robot that senses motion and maybe also a GPS receiver that logs the robots movements. To send this data to a server I'm planning to use Wifi or some other wireless protocol that might be cheaper and maybe more sufficient for the task. This I think I can manage.

However it would also be nice to remote control the robot from the internet. I've never used bluetooth components before and my question is if it would be possible to make an arduino to pair with the robot and send commands like "Go to Base" or disable the schedule etc. Anyone knows?

Kind regards
Stefan

Did you ever make any progress on this? I have a Robomow RS630 and have been exploring ways to communicate with it. I was able to get the java source for the BLE communication by running the Android app through an online decompiler. I'm not proficient enough at java or C to dive in but I'm sure writing a C library from the java code would be a good way to learn both languages.

There are a number of German forums with more information. One person actually attached an old android phone to his mower to maintain the bluetooth connection and then controls it over vnc.

The two main communications interfaces are RS232 (may not be TTL, so check levels before connecting) and BLE. There is also GSM but I don't know if it'll take control signals over that yet. From translating the German forums, BLE and serial don't operate at the same time but I'm thinking if I can't figure out how to emulate a the app with an ESP32, then I could probably just tap the link between the MCU and bluetooth module and insert commands directly on the line. At least one post I saw made me think the commands over BLE and serial are the same. I'm thinking the BLE module must use the serial lines which is why they cannot be used at the same time.

There is also a lot of info on their ftp site [ftp://sw.robomow.com:2120/PC Applications/](http://ftp://sw.robomow.com:2120/PC Applications/). I was able to get the GSM toolkit to run and it actually pulled status data from my robot but the others for serial and BT would not because some missing dependencies.

There is also a decent amount of info in the FCC submittals: https://fccid.io/2ABHE-RB-1

Phase one of my robomow control is to post live position updates to a map is complete, phase 2 is to actually get status data from the robot, and finally phase 3 will be to tell it to drive to a specific spot remotely.

The biggest thing holding me back right now is that it's spring and I don't want to take the mower out of service to tinker.

Hi! Have you made progress towards phases 2 and 3 ? I would really be interested :slight_smile:

Best

Steph.

Not really, I probed around a bit with the logic analyzer and saw some serial data but I'm really saving this for a winter project when the mower doesn't need to be out cutting the grass

mattard:
Did you ever make any progress on this? I have a Robomow RS630 and have been exploring ways to communicate with it. I was able to get the java source for the BLE communication by running the Android app through an online decompiler. I'm not proficient enough at java or C to dive in but I'm sure writing a C library from the java code would be a good way to learn both languages.

There are a number of German forums with more information. One person actually attached an old android phone to his mower to maintain the bluetooth connection and then controls it over vnc.

The two main communications interfaces are RS232 (may not be TTL, so check levels before connecting) and BLE. There is also GSM but I don't know if it'll take control signals over that yet. From translating the German forums, BLE and serial don't operate at the same time but I'm thinking if I can't figure out how to emulate a the app with an ESP32, then I could probably just tap the link between the MCU and bluetooth module and insert commands directly on the line. At least one post I saw made me think the commands over BLE and serial are the same. I'm thinking the BLE module must use the serial lines which is why they cannot be used at the same time.

There is also a lot of info on their ftp site [ftp://sw.robomow.com:2120/PC Applications/](http://ftp://sw.robomow.com:2120/PC Applications/). I was able to get the GSM toolkit to run and it actually pulled status data from my robot but the others for serial and BT would not because some missing dependencies.

There is also a decent amount of info in the FCC submittals: https://fccid.io/2ABHE-RB-1

Phase one of my robomow control is to post live position updates to a map is complete, phase 2 is to actually get status data from the robot, and finally phase 3 will be to tell it to drive to a specific spot remotely.

The biggest thing holding me back right now is that it's spring and I don't want to take the mower out of service to tinker.

Do you still have the setup file to Toolkit? You can't download it from their site anymore.

Hmm it looks like the finally disabled annon access to their FTP. :confused: See your PMs

any progress on this ?