Pairing two arduino's to a smartPhone

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to know if it's at all feasible to connect two arduino's to your smart phone via bluetooth? In the below configurations:

arduino1(slave)<--- phone(master) ---> arduino2(slave)

your phone would be paired to each one at the same time?(if thats even possible) if not possible could you make your phone pair to one device, send a message, disconnect and pair to the other device?

OR:

arduino1(slave) <--- arduino2(master) ---> phone(slave)

Is it at all possible to make your phone a slave?

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. If not bluetooth then what else could I use? (please leave a link to a chip).

Cheers

Your question infers you are currently able to connect your smart phone to multiple bluetooth devices and are wondering if two of the other devices could be Arduino? Is this correct?

paul

I think the answer is no to everything. What you might consider is

Arduino 1.....<>.....Arduino2...<>....phone (master)
................NRF24................Bluetooth

NRFs have similar price and performance to HC-05, and are made for this sort of thing. This approach also absolves from you walking through Android minefields, where there may be a solution but probably not, and most likely not worth the effort.
I guess you could have two Blueteeth on Arduino2 if you prefer.

Paul_KD7HB:
Your question infers you are currently able to connect your smart phone to multiple bluetooth devices and are wondering if two of the other devices could be Arduino? Is this correct?

paul

Would like to attempt pairing two arduinos to one smartphone or iphone at the same time. Or masked under one Bluetooth stream.

Nick_Pyner:
I think the answer is no to everything. What you might consider is

Arduino 1.....<>.....Arduino2...<>....phone (master)
................NRF24................Bluetooth

NRFs have similar price and performance to HC-05, and are made for this sort of thing. This approach also absolves from you walking through Android minefields, where there may be a solution but probably not, and most likely not worth the effort.
I guess you could have two Blueteeth on Arduino2 if you prefer.

Two Bluetooth on Arduino2 approach would mean:

arduino1 BLE (slave) (master)BLE arduino 2 BLE(slave) phone(master)

correct?

As per your first comment, NRF24 between the two arduino's followed by blue tooth between your arduino2 and phone?

I'm pretty sure the smartphone will support multiple (5) Bluetooth connections (spp), but you'll likely have to write the app to do this.

MrMark:
I'm pretty sure the smartphone will support multiple (5) Bluetooth connections (spp), but you'll likely have to write the app to do this.

Correct, I'll have to create an app to sequentially send messages to both BLE arduino devices right?

acaruana:
Two Bluetooth on Arduino2 approach would mean:

arduino1 BLE (slave) (master)BLE arduino 2 BLE(slave) phone(master)

correct?

Correct. Once the connection is established, it doesn't matter which is master and which is slave, so I guess it doesn't matter if the Arduinos are the other way round.

As per your first comment, NRF24 between the two arduino's followed by blue tooth between your arduino2 and phone?

Yes, I thought that was clear on the diagramme. You could have a great swag of NRFs, all reporting to the Arduino with bluetooth

Nick_Pyner:
Correct. Once the connection is established, it doesn't matter which is master and which is slave, so I guess it doesn't matter if the Arduinos are the other way round. Yes, I thought that was clear on the diagramme. You could have a great swag of NRFs, all reporting to the Arduino with bluetooth

Alright thank you, I'll start with:

arduino1BLE(SLAVE) <---- phone(MASTER) ----> arduino2BLE(SLAVE)

and write up the app to send the messages sequentially to them.

Then based on the results add a second BLE chip to one of the arduinos to allow parallel communication and one pairing device to the phone instead of two.

Cheers!

I don't think you can connect with two bluetooth modules with single master phone. Even single BT chip is difficult to handle when it comes to connectivity.

I would recommend you to use NRF24L01 RF module. So, you master node will have both HC-06 and NRF24L01. You will get data from phone via BT and then can send it to all other nodes via RF.

acaruana:
I'll start with:

arduino1BLE(SLAVE) <---- phone(MASTER) ----> arduino2BLE(SLAVE)

and write up the app to send the messages sequentially to them.

Good luck with that.

acaruana:
Correct, I'll have to create an app to sequentially send messages to both BLE arduino devices right?

It could be done that way, but there is then the risk of missing a message from one or the other while connected to the other device.

Rather, I was indicating that, while Bluetooth is a point to point pairing protocol, the phone supports multiple such pairings. In AppInventor for instance, one would instantiate multiple "BluetoothServer" objects, one for each Arduino client. The Android app then would have the logic to receive text from one such connection and forward it to the other.