Pan-Tilt Equipment Choice Questions

Hi everyone,

I need to have a pan-tilt mechanism built this week but I was having some issues with choice of servos, and so I was hoping someone could help me answer some questions.

Some background information: The system needs to pan 360 degrees, tilt 180, and have a resolution of 1 degree or less. I bought continuous rotation servos previously without knowing I sacrifice position control, and had to send those back. For the tilt, there are 180 degree servos that meet the requirement so that shouldn't be an issue. It's the pan that's the issue.

I was looking at this product from servocity: http://servocity.com/html/gdp985a-bm_pan_system.html , and I had a few questions. Firstly, how does it rotate 450 degrees? Does that mean that upon reaching 450, it will return to the neutral position and cannot continue rotating in the same direction? How does this servo even exist, as from my understanding, no conventional servos can rotate more than 180 with position control.

Is there any way to get information as to the resolution of this servo from the given specs? I just need to be sure that it has 1 degree of resolution or less.

Can this product be controlled like every other servo using an Arduino controller? Will I run into any issues programming it?

Do you think this product should work for my purposes? Are there any glaring issues that I'm missing? Apologies for all the questions however I'm on a hard deadline and would like to get this right :)

Thank you for your help in advance, much appreciated.

Kareem

Firstly, how does it rotate 450 degrees?

That thing is no more a servo than what you sent back. What makes it different, though, is that it DOES have position feedback. That feedback stops the continuous rotation not-really-a-servo from rotating when the position reaches 450 degrees. Seems like a rather arbitrary value, but I didn't pick it.

Does that mean that upon reaching 450, it will return to the neutral position and cannot continue rotating in the same direction?

No, and yes. No, it won't automatically return anywhere. It only goes where you tell it to go, down to 0 degrees and up to 450 degrees.

Is there any way to get information as to the resolution of this servo from the given specs? I just need to be sure that it has 1 degree of resolution or less.

There's a phone number at the top of the page. Call them and ask.

Do you think this product should work for my purposes? Are there any glaring issues that I'm missing? Apologies for all the questions however I'm on a hard deadline and would like to get this right

Don't know. If it were me, and position was important, I'd be using a stepper motor, instead. A 180 step per revolution stepper, in 1/4 step mode would have a 0.5 degree positional accuracy.