Some additional information;
[u]Material cost (rounded, excluding shipping)[/u]
- servos: 2 x 40$: 80$
- arduino mini pro: 20$
- pololu servo controller: 20$
- alu tubes: 20$
- display: 10$
- rotary encoder, buttons, optocoupler, ... 20$
- camera shutter cable: 30$
- shafts, gears, adaptors and srews: 100$
Total: 300$, but I easily spent twice as much or even more.
- Shooting time depends on the focal length and the sensor size of the camera. For a spheric panorama with 22mm and a Canon EOS 20D, the robot takes about 50-60 images in 3-4 minutes.
- Stitching time depends on the number of picture, it varies between minutes (20 pics) and hours (more than 200 pics) on a 4 core 3.5Ghz machine with 8GB ram.
- Images sizes: up to 3GB for a gigapixel picture