Parallax/memsic accelerometer?

Hi, I picked up one of these nifty accelerometers at Radioshack, I noticed there were two examples here, but I'm still having a little trouble understanding what the numbers mean. I'm just read numbers between ~8000 and ~15000 for both my X and Y data... Does anyone know how to turn this into a degree? Like 0 - 360?

Thanks!

Your sensor returns acceleration, and this is not directly translatable into degrees. You could use the output of your sensor to create a turn rate gyro, then integrate that output to get a heading but that is a complicated project.

But if you are looking for an easy way to get a heading signal into the arduino, have a look at using a heading hold gyro like this: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A3828158&pid=A3678070

It provides an output pulse width proportional to heading. I don't know how linear it is, but it works well as a kind of autopilot on the rudder of my radio controlled helicopter.

A simpler method of getting heading is use an electronic compass, SparkFun has one that should be easy to integrate into the arduino.

Are you trying to solve a specific problem, or just having fun?

Really? I've got a script on there now that brightens/dims an LED depending on the angle I'm holding it...

I guess what I've got now will do, but is there any way I can read the input in another programming language without the Arduino program running? I've got a decimelia, so it's USB. Sorry for getting off topic...

Really? I've got a script on there now that brightens/dims an LED depending on the angle I'm holding it...

are you seeking to display tilt (0-90 degrees) or heading (0-360 degrees). I think you are seeing tilt, i.e. the change in the acceleration due to gravity as the sensor is tilted. Is this what you want?

I'm really not sure what I wanted, all I know is that after four hours of guessing and checking everything, I finally got a totally working tilt-sensing mouse for my computer! It's sooo cool! I really like the Arduino, this is my first time using one! If anyone wants pictures/the software to make this work, just ask, I'll be glad to post it all.