Parallel Port Bootload error

hi, I'm new in arduino community. i built an Arduino on a Breadboard (Arduino - Home) with the only differnce that i use serial cable and not usb. i got the following message when i tried to bootload my chip (328p):

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA8 is 1E 95 0F
avrdude: AVR device not responding
***failed;
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0xca != 0xff
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

I used a parallel programmer, that I made exactly like this http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer

any ideas what's wrong?

Answer: I used a parallel programmer.

Use the right tools and it will work. If you have enough money to buy an ATmega328, you can also afford to get a real programming adapter. The cheapest one I can think of is just about 15$, with usb and all.

ok, you are right, but i still cannot understand why it doesn't work.. everything seems fine.
is something wrong with the hardware or with the software, do I have to install any drivers before?
(except giveio, and registry for win xp)

How about 5V. Pin #2 of the ICSP header should be 5V.

should i supply it with 5v? or take it from the parrallel? and yet the pin#2 is not connected somewhere..

I don't know if the parallel port has 5V, but the microcontroller needs 5V and GND connected (which is pin #6 of the header).

the circuit has the necessary power suplly from an external voltage regulator. it's the same h project: Arduino - Home but my project has a serial port.
in arduino page the diy parallel programer pin #2 of the icsp is not connected somewhere. should i make a connection between power supply -> icsp pin#2 -> parallel port?
what do you think?

Make sure the GND lines are connected… and if you don’t get a proper programmer soon, you’ll go insane. That is a promise.