parasite/parasitic one wire temperature sensors

hello, this is my first post here in a long time, looks like a great site. i have been watching it for years and am finally going through lessons and trying to learn all i can. i am a farmer in the central US and would like to utilize an arduino board and readout to interface a temperature sensor that i use on a machine on my farm. i apologize as i do not have any information on this sensor, and i cannot change to a different sensor as this design is critical to my project. i guess i am starting out broadly asking an initial question.

i have experience with dallas one wire temperature sensors and have built projects utilizing them in the past. the specialized sensor i am trying to gather information about right now appears to work similar as the sensors connect together on one three wire line and numerous sensors can be added to the same three wire plug (up to 80 sensors down the line). when i called the manufacturer all the information they would give me is that it was a "parasitic' or 'parasite sensor. i have searched the internet some and have found very little information on this type of sensor. i was wondering if anyone on here could point me to some information on this type of sensor. as i stated i know i am leaving you with little information, which is where my whole project is at, just hoped if someone has ever worked with such sensor maybe you could show me a similar sensor that worked as this one does. here is a copy to the link of the sensor i am trying to get information out of.

[Hiniker | Nitro-Lert 3/8" Line Sensor | 36021004 | BarnDoor Ag](Hiniker | Nitro-Lert 3/8" Line Sensor | 36021004 | BarnDoor Ag Shop - Catch All (Barndoor" ag)&utm_term="4581046478382993&utm_content=Catch All)

as i said i dont expect anyone to just up and tell me everything i wanted to know about this specific sensor but if someone had info on another 'parasite' sensor maybe i could learn how they work off of that, i appreciate any help and apologize for the lack of knowledge of the matter. thank you.

The sensor can operate in normal or parasite mode. … In parasite mode the sensor derives its power from the data line. Only two wires, data and ground, are required. Power is supplied through the 1-Wire pullup resistor via the DQ pin when the bus is high. The high bus signal also charges an internal capacitor which then supplies power to the device when the bus is low. This method of deriving power from the 1-wire bus is referred to as “parasite power”. Get a copy of the Maxim DS18B20=PAR it does a great job of explaining it. https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS18B20-PAR.pdf

i appreciate the reply, i will look into it. i had seen a diagram on it only using 2 wires but it didn’t show anything else. what is odd to me is i found a wire diagram for the sensor and it labels the three wires ground, data and HS. any idea what HS would mean? Also when i use a dallas temp program i found and loaded it on the arduino it tells me:

ROM = 42 C1 E9 54 0 0 0 EA
Device is not a DS18x20 family device.
No more addresses.

kind of interesting, i like to think i am getting somewhere but i doubt it.

thanks

one last question for anyone that is reading this thread, why would anyone use this type of sensor. just seems way more complex than it needs to be.

farmhand:
i apologize as i do not have any information on this sensor, and i cannot change to a different sensor as this design is critical to my project.

What critical features of this sensor that you don't know anything about are preventing you from using a different sensor?

Are you are attempting to repair a broken Sentinel NH3 monitor or make a clone?

well as for it being a sentinal or hiniker system, the neither of which i desire, i am not trying to copy nor repair either of them. though that brings up a good point as i assume one or the other companies tried to make the system of the other company better. i currently have the hiniker display/monitor sold with these sensors. neither the hiniker display nor the sentinal option is appealing to me, its not that they are not good system, i feel as if i could read the sensors i could do a better job of 'monitoring' the system in my own likely crude way. the way i want to. i have no desire to repair the old monitor, just wanted to try to utilize what i have and make a project out of it.

just thought if i could read the values of the sensors i could go from there, though i am finding that is way way harder than originally thought.

as for 'critical features' of the sensor, their are none that are critical, the sensor is in a nice sealed housing and as you can see from my link above they are quite expensive for what the manufacturer likely paid a few dollars, (or cents) for. The only critical part was that i currently have 23 installed that are paid for.

its my opinion if any part of this very pricey system is impressive it is how they house the sensor, as it fits inside a nice plumbing housing that appears to not only hold up to the harsh elements but the extreme temperature changes NH3 will produce. the key is to have a housing that does not restrict the flow of product in anyway and adapt to freezing cold to hot, no moisture to soaking wet all in a matter of seconds and continuously repeat that throughout the day.

it was all just an idea of a winter project that is becoming less appealing by the second. thanks

Does your system have an ISOBUS data output?

If so you could use that to to drive a custom display.

farmhand:
ROM = 42 C1 E9 54 0 0 0 EA

That is very good information ! Then it is confirmed that it is a 1-Wire bus.
The first number 42hex is for the temperature sensor DS28EA00.
Manufacturer’s page: DS28EA00 1-Wire Digital Thermometer with Sequence Detect and PIO - Maxim Integrated
It’s specifications are similar to the DS18B20, but it has an extra pin to determine its position in the cable.

With the DS18B20 the user has to choose to use the DallasTemperature library “by index” or with its unique identifier. Both have disadvantages.
They solved those disadvantages with the DS28EA00 by adding an extra wire. Perhaps that is the HS wire.

Someone has already adapted the DS28EA00 for the OneWire library: https://github.com/mortonkopf/OneWire_DS28EA00.