Part drawing

Anyone else here drawing parts? Like this

Full size here: http://peecee.dk/uploads/072010/Servo.png (1920x1200)

It is a model of one of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20084

I am using these models for when I design new items, made the servo for my cat door project, so I could see if it would all fit together.

http://bld-live.dk/wordpress/2010/07/04/cat-door-visitor-authorization-rfid-system/

Looks like pro-desktop :slight_smile:

I occasionally create models of things but usually only when I need to laser cut some acrylic so I make it in SolidWorks first so I know it all fits together then I can export from the 3D model to cut it.

Mowcius

I am using Inventor for this.

Starts by building it all in 3D and putting it together to see if it will work and create the assembly. Then creating the 2D drawings for each part (if that is what I want) where all drawings are changed if I edit the 3D model. Can also make exploding presentations and such with it, and show how things move.

I am thinking about making all the gears inside it too, and then animate it so everything will work :wink:

Yeah SolidWorks can do all that but apart from it looking cool and showing off to people, it’s really not necessary :wink:

I occasionally render things but normally I leave them in standard plastic effects as I also have no need for renders.

Mowcius

I like the render stuff, specially when I need to show it to friends or family. Not many of them are technical and knows how things will work and so, and the normal drawings easily confuse them, but the rendered image seems to easy give them an idea of what is going on. :slight_smile:

I like the render stuff, specially when I need to show it to friends or family. Not many of them are technical and knows how things will work and so, and the normal drawings easily confuse them, but the rendered image seems to easy give them an idea of what is going on.

Indeed. To be honest, if I showed family some rendered Solidworks drawings they’d probably fall asleep :wink:

Mowcius

Haha, many in my falimy like that stuff, they just don’t know how it works, or how things are made.

I sometimes do. Strictly speaking not absolutely necessary, but I find I really like the kicad 3D viewer. A shame it doesn’t have any export options to play with the rendered PCB in other 3D programs though (for adding more PCBs and position those relative to each other, for example…or just to render in a better quality)

I draw them in wings3D. It can use pov-ray for rendering, but I haven’t played with that much.

I only made the LEDs and TSOP in the image below, the rest is from libraries included with kicad:

I haven’t done many so I don’t have lots of components to show, only a RGB LED, this TSOP IR receiver, some button, headers and a pot :stuck_out_tongue: Oh yeah, and that Sparkfun button pad 2 by 2 :slight_smile: 4 of them put together below for a 4 by 4 pad:

Its not just the 3D but also the component symbols and pinouts/footprints (“components” and “modules” in kicad speak). These are pretty much needed anyway, the 3D is just an added bonus. Even though rendering quality is not the best, its quick and you get a good visualization of how it will look. Better than with just a 2D PCB layout imho.

I’m planning to upload these somewhere soon.ish. I just need to get around to it… (TTT)

EDIT:

Oh btw, really neat looking images, bld!

I’ve actually never done models of components, but I like modeling other various things.

I don’t have any renderings right now, but I use 3DS Max to do it.

I think the last time I played with any real 3D tool was waaay back in the early 1990s with Calligari3D on my Amiga 2000 - and that wasn’t anything really serious.

I’ve done some other things coding-wise (there was a time in the late-90s where I was learning 3D rendering and texture mapping in QuickBasic, 80x86 assembler, C/C++, and Visual Basic - more recently I have played with Python and PyOpenGL), but once again, nothing serious or useful.

Hmm - even dabbled with Rend386 and a hacked PowerGlove and StuntMaster HMD.

Things might change, though, in the future…

:slight_smile:

One of the things drawing me awa from KiCad is the lack of libraries.
Do I remember correctly that you can convert EAGLE libraries to work?

You’d still have to make the components in 3D though :slight_smile:

There are some libraries here I found through searching:
http://www.kicadlib.org/

Mowcius

One of the things drawing me awa from KiCad is the lack of libraries.
Do I remember correctly that you can convert EAGLE libraries to work?

There is a long list of converted libraries here: http://library.oshec.org/
So yes one might use those. But it also has a few libraries that comes “built-in”.

You’d still have to make the components in 3D though

Not neccessarily. One of the things I like with kicad, is that you can map any symbols to any package/module :slight_smile: They are separate files. This is on a per-project base.

One of the things that annoy me though, is that there seems to be no power connections for the 74xx ICs. Since I don’t have that many types at home, I usually just edit a library file and save my own. Or else they show up with unconnected power in PCBview. Sort of vital, so I’m sure I have missed something with regards to that.

I also do this. I don’t have Inventor, but this 3D method is how I lay stuff out to see if it all fits the way I like. I never really keep what I do, since it’s mostly just a quick sanity check.

I use a product called 3D CANVAS but I primarily use it for other things. http://www.railsimstuff.com

Great stuff you guys are working with :smiley: a 1:1 scale 3d model is so nice to work with, specially because you are most likely to only use one real item, and it will just work, because you already got all the right measures and such.

a 1:1 scale 3d model is so nice to work with

Especially if it’s physical and 3D printed. Hopefully I’ll be playing with this type of thing in a few months :slight_smile:

Mowcius