pb using BirdTerm (Java serial terminal) with Arduino

I want to use a light Windows application to communicate through USB with std arduino : after many researches, I found at least this one : http://sourceforge.net/projects/birdterm/ (and there is not a lot of software else this one !)

all is working like in the 1.05 IDE (written also in JAVA I think) but one thing is "boring" : as once a car is entered in the terminal, it is sent immediately so when you use for ex Serial.available () on arduino, like in this code :

char buffteleinfo[255] = "";   // chaine de caractère reçu par le compteur EDF (sert aussi a init reseau)
char buffer_lect[100]; // buffer de lecture auxilliaire taille mini 8 carac

byte inByte,l,k = 0;         // incoming serial byte

void setup()
{
  // start serial port at 9600 bps:
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("\nhello world!");     // entree params reseau
     inByte =0; l=0;      
     Serial.println(F("entrer nom du reseau :"));
     while (!Serial.available()) {;}
while (Serial.available()>0) { // tant que saisie non depilée 
      inByte=Serial.read();
      buffteleinfo[l] = inByte;
      l++;     
 delay(10);  // important si 9600 bds
       }
      buffteleinfo[l]=0;  // fin de la chaine
      Serial.println(buffteleinfo);
}

you can enter only one car... !! I have modified the code to detect an end caractere (='$') to finish the entry but it is ugly !! and of course, this car can't be a part of the entry !

somebody knows another simple freeware usable with this code, like in the Arduino IDE ? or another way of coding without using an end car. ?? here is my adapted code that works on BildTerm... (note that the entered car makes the cursor moving so I have added several Serial.println("") for that....)

// entree params reseau
     inByte =0; l=0;     
     Serial.println(F("\nentrer nom du reseau et terminer par $"));
     do { // saisie car par car pour compatibilité Terminal Java ($ situé a coté de ENTREE)
     while (!Serial.available()) {;}
      inByte=Serial.read();
      if (inByte!='

) Serial.write(inByte); // echo local pour Terminal       buffteleinfo[l++] = inByte;       delay(10);  // important si 9600 bds         }while (inByte != ' ```

);       buffteleinfo[--l]=0;  // decale fin de la chaine     Serial.println(F("")); ```

but it is ugly !!

Nonsense.

and of course, this car can't be a part of the entry !

Carriage returns and/line feeds rarely are.

somebody knows another simple freeware usable with this code, like in the Arduino IDE ?

There are plenty of choices. First, you explain the problem with using the Serial Monitor application. Then, you mention what operating system you are using. Then we can help you.

I think the examples in serial input basics may do what you want.

...R