PC doesn't recognize my board CH340 chip

I have a similar issue. I've always used Chinese boards, UNO, NANO and MEGA 2560 and have had very little issues on installing the hardware until now. I am presently using some NANO and UNO boards with the CH340 chip and are working fine, but when I go to install a MEGA 2560 board using the CH340G it will not recognize the board.

I downloaded the driver from the manufacturer and when I run the setup, the install fails. I can install a Generic COM Port and then update the driver from the manufacturer's drivers, but a CH340G doesn't exist in the list. There are drivers for CH330, CH340, CH340K, CH341 etc... I tried the CH340 and still doesn't work. However I have an old PC running Win 7 32bit for some cameras and can install on that PC without any issues and boards work fine. My main computer with the problem is running Win 10 Pro version 1909. Is there something I need to disable on my PC in order to install the manufacture's drivers? Any help would be appreciated...

Angus01221:
a CH340G doesn't exist in the list. There are drivers for CH330, CH340, CH340K, CH341 etc

The "G" is just the IC package specifier. It makes no difference for the driver. If you're getting the driver from the blue button with the cloud and the downward pointing arrow on this page:

then that's the driver straight from the CH340's manufacturer. It actually does mention CH340G on that page.

But if you are able to use your other CH340 boards, then you already have the driver installed.

Angus01221:
I have an old PC running Win 7 32bit for some cameras and can install on that PC without any issues and boards work fine.

Including the Mega 2560?

Angus01221:
Is there something I need to disable on my PC in order to install the manufacture's drivers?

Not that I know of. I have had no problems using the CH340 on 3 different Windows 10 machines.

Do you see a new device appear in Device Manager after you connect the Mega to your Windows 10 computer using the USB cable?

Yes, that is the driver I am using and the UNO and NANO boards are working fine and when you look at the COM ports they show using the CH340 driver. So yah, the drivers should already be installed. I have two MEGA 2560 boards, both with CH340 chips and when I connect them to the pc, they show up as “Unknown USB Devices” under Serial Bus Controllers rather than a COM port. The boards are good working boards as they both work on an old pc running x32.

What can I try next??

The “Unknown USB Devices” can have a couple of causes.

1. Make sure “driver signing” is turned OFF prior to installing them.
  2. Install them as “Administrator” That would be a PRIMARY admin not a SECONDARY admin.
  3. Turn off Antivirus or other additional secure for the driver install.

Quite often one or more of those actions tends to resolve it

Additionally try USB 2.0 ports and USB 2.0 cables as USB 3.0 can on occasion cause its own issues.

If the drivers were not from Per’s Link you may want to uninstall those as there are some “custom” CH drivers out there that have been modified and do not always work (or worse) !

Bob.

Thanks Bob, I turned off Driver Signing, Disabled Windows Security and ran the driver setup as Admin. This time It installed and says "The driver is successfully Pre-installed in advance". reconnecting the board still shows up as "Unknown USB...." .

Anything else I can try?

The "pre installed" message can be ignored ( Chinese translation error I guess LOL ).
On windows 10 you may have to FORCE legacy hardware.

That you have some CH340 devices working well and others not so well is a bit of an odd situation.

@Angus01221

TOPIC SPLIT
DO NOT HIJACK / NECRO POST !

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.