PC Footpedal Controller with momentary 555 timer circuit

The plan is to use an arduino nano to make a foot board controller and macro certain controls to the pc.
Before I dive into the programming of the micro controller I want to get the general hardware down and make sure I'm approaching this the right way. From what research I have done it seems simple and straight forward with the momentary switches, just have to decide on which ones I want. The tricky one will be wiring one of the momentary switches with a 555 circuit to pulse around 50ms while pressed. Found a few online tools which led me to believe I need to wire in a 500 ohm resistor and 200 micro farad capacitor. This should give me 50ms (and some change) pulses on this one control. The trigger on the 555 timer will need to be grounded in order to activate but I have only been able to find a diagram with a touch plate as a trigger. Any advice or help will be appreciated being that this is my first project.

You start out talking about a nano, a prfectly reasonable thing to be asking about here. But at some point you abruptly change to talking about this 555 timer that is doing something that the nano could do itself and you completely lost me.

What exactly does this thing need to be able to do? Describe what it has to do, not how you think you would go about doing it. Then if you want to discuss your idea about how that's fine. But you have to start off with a description like:

"I want to be able to push a button and have a light start blinking at 50hz rate." or something.

I posted in project guidance due to the 555 timer w/momentary switch being the object of discussion.
I am new to arduino so I wasn’t thinking that the nano could do something like this. I would still like to focus on the 555 timer circuit but I would probably need to add a topic in a different thread if it was focused on the nano specifically. The nano would hold the information needed to interpret the switches and convert them to inputs similar to a gaming controller/keyboard. The 550 timer would control the pulse rate the switch was activated.

The idea is to have a switch, interpreted by the pc to be a “usb keyboard”, to pulse @ ~50ms. It would obviously need to be powered under ~5V / 30mA from my understanding.

5 total switches connected to the board, 4 momentary and 1 momentary w/timer. If I went without the 555 timer and had the one switch programmed in arduino on a timer, would it be perceived as a “key” on the “usb keyboard”.

The 555 timer is completely redundant and not needed here. The Nano can handle that timing by itself. Throw the 555 timer back in the drawer. You don't need it. The Nano can use millis to figure out when 50ms has passed and it is time to send another keystroke.

BTW: How are you planning to use the Nano as a keyboard. That's more of a job for Leonardo or Micro. They can directly emulate a keyboard. The Nano cannot.

Delta_G:
The 555 timer is completely redundant and not needed here. The Nano can handle that timing by itself. Throw the 555 timer back in the drawer. You don't need it. The Nano can use millis to figure out when 50ms has passed and it is time to send another keystroke.

BTW: How are you planning to use the Nano as a keyboard. That's more of a job for Leonardo or Micro. They can directly emulate a keyboard. The Nano cannot.

Thanks man. I've been researching on how to do this for days and 555 timer was all I could muster up on google. This is why I'm here. So... I've seen links and videos of nanos being used to build custom PC gaming controller for flight emulators, etc. But the thing is I can't run an emulator. Would an emulator have to run on the PC it is being used on???

I don't know what you're asking. If you just want an Arduino to act as a keyboard and send keypresses every so often that is trivial, but can't be done with a Nano. You want a Micro or Leonardo for that.

I've been researching on how to do this for days and 555 timer was all I could muster up on google

You're googling too specific. The Blink Without Delay example in the IDE shows how to flash an LED at regular intervals. You can use the same style to do anything at regular intervals.

So... I've seen links and videos of nanos being used to build custom PC gaming controller for flight emulators, etc.

Would it surprise you to find out that I don't know what videos you're talking about?

Would an emulator have to run on the PC it is being used on???

In order to do what exactly? You still haven't been very clear about what you're asking for help in building. All the hand waving is not helping. Just describe what the thing is that you are building. And remember, I might not be into whatever other hobby you're into, so you might need to explain things that aren't common knowledge to everyone.

I don't know what you're asking. If you just want an Arduino to act as a keyboard and send keypresses every so often that is trivial, but can't be done with a Nano. You want a Micro or Leonardo for that.

I understand that I was mislead in thinking this.

Would it surprise you to find out that I don't know what videos you're talking about?

I'm on a corporate laptop so I spoke incorrectly, I've seen blogs and web postings of tutorials on how to build gaming controllers with nanos.

Edit - adding link to one of the tutorials... DIY Controller for Paragliding Games - Arduino Project Hub

In order to do what exactly? You still haven't been very clear about what you're asking for help in building. All the hand waving is not helping. Just describe what the thing is that you are building. And remember, I might not be into whatever other hobby you're into, so you might need to explain things that aren't common knowledge to everyone.

I want to create a 5 button footswitch to act as a usb keyboard to use in conjunction with a PC keyboard and or a PC gaming controller. I do not want to run any emulation on the PC (no software running in the background during use of the controller), all the keyboard emulations will need to run on the controller itself. 4 of the 5 buttons will be momentary actuated (switch on and off when pressed and released) and 1 of the 5 buttons will be momentary actuated with a timer (timer will need to be set to ~50ms) and pulse while pressed only.

Imagine 5 LED lights. 4 come on when 4 buttons are pressed and go off when released. 1 pulses at a 50ms interval, square wave, while button is pressed and goes off when released.

That's trivial.

I do not want to run any emulation on the PC (no software running in the background during use of the controller), all the keyboard emulations will need to run on the controller itself.

So Nano is out. You need Micro or Leonardo or some other 32u4 based controller.

You need the keyboard library (on this site) to send the keypresses.

Then it is just a matter of if statements to check your buttons and send key strokes. For the repeater one you'll need code like the Blink Without Delay example to get the timing.