PC shuts down when playing game.

I only really use my PC for playing the occasional game and watching movies on…but for the last couple of days iv been having real issues with it turning itself off when playing a game (PR a Battlefield 2 MOD).
Thought it would be CPU overheating, but from the stats below…its not really that hot at all!!!

here were the temp stats at shut down

Temperatures
Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
CPU 54 °C (129 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 46 °C (115 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 46 °C (115 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 46 °C (115 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 46 °C (115 °F)
MCP 87 °C (189 °F)
Aux 54 °C (129 °F)
GPU 68 °C (154 °F)
GPU Memory 60 °C (140 °F)
GPU Ambient 56 °C (133 °F)
WDC WD1600SD-01KCC0 30 °C (86 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3516 RPM
GPU 1502 RPM (40%)

And my PC is

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Motherboard
CPU Type QuadCore AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition 9950, 2275 MHz (13 x 175)
Motherboard Name ASRock K10N78 (3 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA GeForce 8200, AMD K10
System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz)
DIMM3: 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz)
BIOS Type AMI (02/05/09)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Monitor Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 92 [19" CRT] (012101735)

ANY suggestions welcome!!!

Check c:\windows\minidump

There are .dmp files inside that folder?

not a suggestion but maybe a warning. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with nvidia gpu and amd cpu. These things are apparently infamous for heating up to the point where the gpu fails. sometimes cured by resoldering the nvidia chip, sometimes(like mine) the whole motherboard needs to be replaced.

I hope your issue is unrelated.

Check c:\windows\minidump

There are .dmp files inside that folder?

no minidump file at all ? :frowning:

]not a suggestion but maybe a warning. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with nvidia gpu and amd cpu. These things are apparently infamous for heating up to the point where the gpu fails. sometimes cured by resoldering the nvidia chip, sometimes(like mine) the whole motherboard needs to be replaced.

:’( whats a safe gpu temp?

MCP 87 °C (189 °F)

Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I’d be concerned if anything in my computer got that hot…

what and where is the MCP, and can i get a fan/better heatsink for it???

silly question, but have you just tried to blow it out with some compressed air

my father in law does that to me, ITS OVER HEATING blah blah blah, 2 shots of air in its vents and its back to normal (well for at least a year)

I agree with Osgeld. Give your heatsinks, fans, and vents a good cleaning. Dust is the enemy of all things electronic ;D!

lol first thing i did was get the hover and a small pain brush…vents, fans are spotless…I even have the side of the case off.

Maybe your thermal compound has had it. How old is it?

yea it does dry up, and if it was manufactured (ie by hp) they LOVE to put this flap of foil tween the cpu and the heat sink, which just doubles the chances of heat sink compound separating (xbox360 cough cough)

and if you have the side off, just go poking around until you find something hot enough to make you notice

just dont press down too hard and short the board out (and watch them fans, they eat finger tips)

Its a self build thats about 6months old, and this is the first trouble iv had with it.

Main CPU heatsink is nice and cool to the touch, but the heatsink iv put a ring around in the photo is HOT!!! like owch HOT!!!

And to make matters worse, due to the board layout it has a oversized NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Black ed card right next to it spewing heat! :-/

Iv found a 100mm fan and have put that in the case next to the HOT heat sink and im getting a tem reading of:

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83627EHF/EHG (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Analog Devices ADT7473 (NV-I2C 2Eh)
Motherboard Name ASRock K10N78
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures
Motherboard 26 °C (79 °F)
CPU 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 34 °C (93 °F)
MCP 44 °C (111 °F)
down from MCP 87 °C (189 °F) :smiley:

Aux 40 °C (104 °F)
GPU 47 °C (117 °F)
GPU Memory 39 °C (102 °F)
GPU Ambient 37 °C (99 °F)
WDC WD1600SD-01KCC0 26 °C (79 °F)

can i get a fan to fit that heatsink…so i dont have to have my case open and a silly big fan there all the time?

maybe, there are companies who make aftermarket chipset heat sinks

problem is tiny fans die fast

but often times if you remove the stock heatsink you will see what equates to a tiny piece of thermal carpet tape bridging the gap

When I have troubles out one I usually remove that crap and put some proper compound on it

something to try anyway

OK, seems thats not the issue, still powers down after 10 mins of playing.

Maybe a power supply issue? Those things can die pretty quickly depending on usage…

only 4months old (updraded due to the power needs from the GFX card), but guess it could be…any way of testing.

use a multimeter while psu is under load (ie the machine is on)

Check in advanced options, PC Properties, errors and recovery if minidumps are being created.

If still no minidumps in that folder, it is likely a Hardware error for sure.

Try with other power supply.

I hate this problems. When you try something and you thing you’ve fixed the problem, woo, it reboots again, lowering your peace of mind.

I have had this sortof problem constantly with my new cpu. Your cpu specs are nice by the way. :slight_smile:

My specs are as good as yours maybe better (i7) (2 nvidia gtx 260 sli)

Heres what you could do to fix your game crashes.

1. Reinstall nvidia drivers

2. Either Down clock your nvidia gpu with “Precision” software or downgrade the settings in game. Big monitors require more gpu power. Or both.

3. Eliminate unnecessary background programs. (your CPU could probably handle it though)

4. Better air flow inside case. (some cases make unnecessary ventilation to make it look cool.)

Your temperature for your graphics card should NOT exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

What fixed it for me was downclocking both of my gpu and letting the game settings stay close to max.

Note: In Precision you can adjust your fan speed, set it to high if necessary.

Hope that helps! ;D :smiley: :slight_smile:
[edit]
From the pictures i saw. You should get a new case. However, while it is likely the problem is at the gpu like mine, there’s still a possibility that its not a heat failure or gpu failure. I do NOT want to be responsible for making you buy a new case. :-/

You could make a test and take everything out of the case and connect them on the table and run your pc. Spread your items apart on a non metalic table. This way heat rises away from your components. If possible blow a big fan on your chips (not super directly though)
[/edit]

I may need more information.

What kind of crash is it. (BlueScreen?) (Back to Desktop?)
If an error message appears on your desktop, please tell us Error ID

This problem just arose. Have you played games on your Windows 7 Before? Because mine started crashing when I had windows 7.

Did anything else recently happen to your computer?

Could you Run RealTemp Program and measure it during the gameplay? Or did you already do that.

Do you have another computer compatible with your graphics card? If yes, can you test it with that computer?

Try a registry cleaner, it may be harmful to get freeware ones. I recommend Norton.

Try Error Checking (rightclick C:/ → properties → Tools

Windows 7 also has some other curing things… I forgot what i went through.

Do any other games work? No not solitaire i mean 1 gig+ games.