PCB design guidelines

As the category is general discussion, so allow me to inquire about some PCB design guidelines.

I am designing a custom PCB for a client, but the client says he wants to have his product certified by some international organization such as ISO, CE or whatever.
So my part is to design the PCB as per the standards. Kindly tell me what exactly is the standard that covers PCB designing, and what are the guidelines for this? Or simply where to start.

I know PCB designing and all, but this certification thing is disturbing me.

There will be a huge numebr of possible standards, most of which are only met by testing the board in certain ways to ensure it complies. You are probably best going back to the client and asking what they really want, is there a specific safety or non-interference level they are trying to achieve? Is the client just a manager who has heard of the certification and wants it? Roughly what kind of task does the board perform, is it expected to be reliable enough for say, automotive or aeronautical use? You'll have to get the client to tell you exactly what tests he wants the PCB to pass.

Workaholic:
I know PCB designing and all, but this certification thing is disturbing me.

Make enquiries with one of the certification bodies.

In most countries there is a Government organisation that assists small businesses. They would almost certainly be able to advise you, or point you towards someone who can.

...R

Workaholic:
...the client says he wants to have his product certified by some international organization such as ISO, CE or whatever....

Are you overthinking it? Design your board according the requirements the PCB manufacturer such as minimum trace sizes and spacing, have the boards made, and show off to your client the certifications that the PCB manufacturer says they have. For example, if you get the boards made by pcbway.com it has ISO 9001 RoHs UL certification PCBWay get ISO 9001 RoHs UL certificate - News -PCBway

Yes I may be overthinking it. But yes you have given me awesome suggestion, to use manufacturer's certificates.
Thanks man.

Workaholic:
But yes you have given me awesome suggestion, to use manufacturer's certificates.

I suspect that all the PCB manufacturer will certify is the actual process by which he makes the board.

I doubt very much that he will take any responsibility for any aspect of your design. And I imagine that your customer is expecting to have certification for the complete finished product.

...R

It's probably a perfectly fine part of a company's ISO9000 process to say "we use a PCB manufacturer that also has an ISO9000 process." But ISO9000 (a "demonstrate that you have a process in place to assure product quality" thing) is much different than a safety certification...

dmjlambert:
Are you overthinking it? Design your board according the requirements the PCB manufacturer such as minimum trace sizes and spacing, have the boards made, and show off to your client the certifications that the PCB manufacturer says they have. For example, if you get the boards made by pcbway.com it has ISO 9001 RoHs UL certification PCBWay get ISO 9001 RoHs UL certificate - News -PCBway

Your suggestion is indeed so nice...