PCB manufacturing problems

Hello,

recently I ordered manufacturing of single layer PCBs to one of China company. Yesterday I received boards and there are two mistakes on them, so I can't use them.

1: Soldering layer is mirrored (although on board is text for orientation)

2: Silk screen is on wrong side (on the same as soldering layout)

I made gerbers with Eagle as written (bottom layer for soldering and top layer for silk screen) and also checked them with gerber viewer. Before production, gerber's have been also checked by technician guy of this company and there have been no complains.

I am wondering if I made mistake and if so, where? Should be gerber layers named only by gerber file name or where else are specified attributes of mirroring and proper side of the boards (top or bottom)?

Br,

Luxy

Don't you think you should discuss this with the PCB manufacturer?

Usually such manufacturing processes are largely automatic, meaning that all their products would be defective, leading to them going out of business very quickly.

Contact them and ask where the problem occurred, but my guess is that you misinterpreted the instructions.

You look at the board from above so your copper layer (bottom) gerber should look as it would from the boards perspective, if that makes sense? Not as it would if you looked at the board from underneath.

The company I use require different files for different side silk screens. Top_silkscreen appears on top, bottom_silkscreen appears on the bottom. I've never made singlesided so I don't know if the same rules apply.

Shpaget: Don't you think you should discuss this with the PCB manufacturer?

Of course I spoke with them. Instruction was only to send gerber files, without any specific rules + they have been checked and marked as ok. I would like to know where's the problem because if this is totally on my side, I will not ask for refund. But if not, I will (at least) try to discuss about this.

dannable: You look at the board from above so your copper layer (bottom) gerber should look as it would from the boards perspective, if that makes sense? Not as it would if you looked at the board from underneath.

Yes, I understand this and that's how my gerber looks like. I also added text on it, so it's clearly visible how is orientated.

But text doesn't make it clear when viewing it on a screen. If you write "this is the bottom" on the bottom layer, should that be read when you are looking at the board in your hand or should it be read in the x-ray view that is actually used to design the board?

If their technician checked it, then it may be their fault but they can always say that they thought you wanted a weird board.

How many boards? For prototypes of 3-30 I use OSH Park, which always produces double sided boards even if I only need to put tracks on one side. Their online ordering system makes it easy to check the board layout - I actually use their system as part of my design checking process.

Hey Luxy, If you send me your gerber files, I'll take a look at the package and let you know how I would interpret the package (I work in PCB design)

I use iteadstudio, their CAM file has always created the layers and markings on the correct sides for me.
http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418001.html
Click the Download tab. Use the DRC file for manufacturability check, and the CAM to create the Gerber files.
I’ve bought a lot of boards that way going back to early 2011, and have only had 1 error, where I had 4 airwires that I forgot to add in after I ripped up some traces and moved a chip, then ordered boards the next day and forgot to check Rats Nest to see that all traces were connected.
Some examples here, with many more custom jobs done that aren’t posted:
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

jthefreak: If you send me your gerber files, I'll take a look at the package and let you know how I would interpret the package (I work in PCB design)

Great, thank you! I sended you PM.

CrossRoads: I use iteadstudio, their CAM file has always created the layers and markings on the correct sides for me.

I will try this.

MorganS: How many boards?

30 pcs.

CrossRoads: I use iteadstudio, their CAM file has always created the layers and markings on the correct sides for me. http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping/im120418001.html Click the Download tab. Use the DRC file for manufacturability check, and the CAM to create the Gerber files.

I just exported my project with this CAM file and then checked it with gerber viewer. It's oriented the same as my first export + all the other selected layers looks the same (as with this CAM job).

I am pretty sure that my gerber files have been ok.

I use both OSHpark, and DirtyPCBs.com. They both make great boards. My last order took one day longer to come from DirtyPCB than the same order from OSH. Both suppliers provided perfect boards. If I need 3 and they are small, oshpark. If I want ~12, up to 10x10 cm, cheap, then DirtyPCB gets the order.

how big is each of your boards?

mixographer: how big is each of your boards?

130x70 mm

looks like old thread got resurrected for spam purpose. anytime there is a thread about pcb manufacturer, user with 1 post always shows up to spam a pcb supplier. I bet this is just one person just getting a new account each time. this is a good sign to avoid that pcb manufacturer, as they seem extremely desperate.