PCF8563 running?

Hi all, I have a little datalogger and I was using the DS1307 to provide RTC, but based on cost and the alarm function, I migrated to the PCF8563. On the DS1307 there's a nifty little test
" if (! rtc.initialized()) { Serial.println("RTC is NOT running!");"
that tells me that the RTC has a value. I don't quite see how to enable a similar test for the PCF8563. I have a backup battery on it, but after programming the arduino, I'll be removing power from the board, shutting down the micro, so any setting in RTC would get rewritten because my arduino will reset. I'm using Joe Robertson's PCF8563 RTC library and can't see how any of the STATUS bits are the info I want. I thought about getting the values and making sure they were non-zero for something like the date, but I think that might not be good practice, or is that a good way to test if the clock is running?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I have a backup battery on it, but after programming the arduino, I'll be removing power from the board, shutting down the micro, so any setting in RTC would get rewritten because my arduino will reset.

Not with any RTC that I have ever worked with. If you have time setting code in your sketch, just comment it out after the time is set.

The PCF8563 has a clock integrity flag in the high bit of the seconds register; VL_seconds, address 0x02. If this bit is set then power has been interrupted and the clock data is most likely incorrect.

See the Product Data Sheet rev 10, page 10 section 8.4.1