Pcf8574 address to make invisible and visible

Hi,
I want to know how we can make the pcf8574 IC address invisible and visible whenever we want.
Thanks in advance.

You could use a tca9584 multiplexer. Connect the pcf chip to channel zero. To make it's address "invisible", select any of channels 1 to 7 on the multiplexer.

But this seems like a strange thing to want. I wonder if this is an "X-Y problem". Please explain your project.

PaulRB:
You could use

But this seems like a strange thing to want. I wonder if this is an "X-Y problem". Please explain your project.

PaulRB:
You could use a tca9584 multiplexer. Connect the pcf chip to channel zero. To make it's address "invisible", select any of channels 1 to 7 on the multiplexer.

Thankyou
I am using multiple IC s for this. I want an individulal IC tworks at one time. During that time all other Ic s sholuld be invisible.

Raweesha:
I am using multiple IC s for this. I want an individulal IC tworks at one time. During that time all other Ic s sholuld be invisible.

A0,A1,A2 on the PCF8574 allows you to change its address (up to 8 different values). on those ICs/boards you are using, are those pins not accessible?

If they do, then just speak to each one whenever required by selecting the respective address.

if not, then as @PaulRB suggested you can use an I2C multiplexer like this one to communicate with each IC whenever required.

You can address up to 16 pcf8574 chips individually and directly from an Arduino with a single I2C bus ( 8 x pcf8574 and 8 x pcf8574A ). The ‘A’ variant has a different I2C address range but is otherwise identical.

Raweesha:
Thankyou

This still seems like a strange thing to want. I still wonder if this is an "X-Y problem". Please. Explain. Your. Project.

Thankyou all for the replies.
Using a TCA9548A /I2C switch is the solution for this.

I just went through this PDF and comprehended that I should use a I2C switch. Will see.

Switches can be used to turn off portions of the bus which are not powered constantly, or are shutdown temporarily to save power

I think you are probably making a mistake. But if you will not explain your wider objectives, we cannot help you.

Hi,
How many PCF8574 are you using?

Did you look the fact that you can assign each PCF8574 a different I2C address?
So you can have them all one the one I2C bus and connect to them when needed.
Why do you need them to be "invisible" at times?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

At a guess the OP is still working on the project discussed in this thread and several others they have started over the last month or so.

Edit: here’s the circuit diagram from that thread of it helps any...