Pduino with Realis and moteur 110V

Hi,
I’m trying to connect a 110v motor to arduino and pilot with pure data…
I’ve made a connection with a relais 5v-125v 1A and a transistor 2N2222.
When i start after 20 second everything stop and the USB connection dosen’t work…

When i try with a small motor 9v… everything work…

So that, I’ve to change the transistor ??? Or do other modification?

Regards

Kinolab

Schematic and code, please!

It could be any number of things given your sparse description; did you incorporate a flyback/shunt diode on the relay? Is the motor isolated from the Arduino (when dealing with AC, this is a good idea)? Do you have a base current limiting resistor on the base of the transistor?

Schematic and code will ultimately help us help you...

:slight_smile:

Hi, sorry...
I use the schematic of Relais that you can found on Arduino page

Link : Arduino Playground - HomePage

I use exactly the things that are in the PDF, with a 2N2222.

The 110v are connected separately from arduino. I use the positive Pole to open and close with the relais..

I hope that avec this you can help me...

Regards

KinoLab

You are using a separate power source for the relay, right (not the regulator on the Arduino)?

Not, the relay is connected with the 5v to arduino...

That’s probably your problem, then - the relay is likely using more current than the Arduino’s on-board voltage regulator can supply. Hook it up to an external DC power source (wall wart or battery) instead (and connect the ground to the Arduino’s ground).

I'll try and tell you later....

Thanks and regards...

KinoLab

I’ve connected the + power to the DC 10v that arrived to arduino, before the regulator and ground to arduino ground and is the same things that happens…

With a new test everything goes on.... for the moment the system dosen't stop....

I'll try a long test like 1 hour and i'll tell you....

Thanks for your help, sometimes is easyer that what we think...

Regards

KinoLab

Hi man, I'm sorry, but with different test i've see that after 5 minutes more or less everything stop... so that if you have any idea !!!!

Regards

KinoLab

Hi man, I'm sorry, but with different test i've see that after 5 minutes more or less everything stop... so that if you have any idea !!!!

Alright - we need some info:

1. We need part numbers/specs for each component (you already mentioned a 2n2222, so we don't need that.

2. We need to see the code.

Does your relay still work? Does things work if you switch it manually (ie, apply 5V to the resistor on the base of the transistor)? What happens if you leave it connected like that? Does your transistor overheat and fail? Is everything turning off, or just the relay? What is the voltage of the output pin when it is "off"?

There's a lot of unanswered questions here; you need to take a step-by-step approach to find the answer - but we can help you more with more information (can you post the code?)...

Hi, sorry... i'll try to explain...

On Arduino I've burn the firmata to use it with PureDate, the STANDARDFIRMATA... So that i don't have a code to send...

On pure data i use a really simple pacth with a Looper and a system that send an output signal to PIN5 each X seconds.

The big problem is that when i connect a 9v motor DC there is no problem...

The problem start when i connect a 110V motor to the relais...

What happen :

After more or less 5 minutes ( It's not always the same delay... sometimes 5 other 6 other 4 minutes...)

The USB connection Stop, the relais stop to work and i've to reinizialize everything and change the usb port to restart..

To answer to your question :
"Does your relay still work?" -- YES
"Does things work if you switch it manually" --- YES, as i tell when i connect a 9vDC motor it does work.
"Does your transistor overheat and fail?" --- NO
"Is everything turning off, or just the relay?" --- YES, everything is turning off
"What is the voltage of the output pin when it is "off"?" --- OV when off and 5V when ON.

The last thing is :
On the PDF about how to use a relays, they speak about a schematic to use with a DC relays, or I'm using a AC motor.... Is that important ??

Regards to all...

KinoLab

On the PDF about how to use a relays, they speak about a schematic to use with a DC relays, or I'm using a AC motor.... Is that important ??

Ok - now I understand...unfortunately I'm thinking the problem might lie in either the code on the Arduino (Firmata) and/or PureData; I think I nearly completely misinterpreted your first message. As far as your relay is concerned, if its working manually, then it should be OK otherwise; I believe your relay is actually a 5VDC relay with contacts rated to 250V @ 1 amps - So the coil is 5V, which is really what it should be run at, but it may take more current than what the regulator on the Arduino can handle. I would really like to see a data/spec sheet on it first to confirm it...

Unfortunately, if it is a software issue with Firmata/PureData - I don't have any experience with either; perhaps another user does, or you might post at the forums for either of those pieces of software (if you haven't already); it may be an actual issue that's already been patched...?

Good luck, and I am sorry I can't be of more help...

:-/

[edit]Note - I am concerned about the contact rating; what is the ratings on the AC motor? It may be working fine right now with no load, but if the ratings of the motor at loaded and/or stall conditions are higher than the contacts, you could get contact arcing and/or welding of the contacts because they're under-rated. So, what are the ratings of the motor as well?[/edit]

Thanks for your answer....
I'll post on a Pure Data forum to see what they answer to me...

What do you means for "motor rating"... sorry man but I'm not expert... :-[

Regards and i'll tell you... when i found a solution...

KinoLab

What do you means for "motor rating"... sorry man but I'm not expert...

The main ones that are needed in order to know if the relay contacts (rated at 1A? I don't know for sure - I need the actual specs for the relay) can reliably cause the motor to function are:

1. Running current
  2. Stall current

Basically, the first is the amount of current the motor uses when it is "running" with no load, the second is the amount of current the motor uses when it is under "full load" (or stalled, ie - not turning). If the contacts for the relay are rated lower than the stall current, then arcing and/or welding of the contacts can occur when switching the motor on or off (depending on the motor load).

I'm more familiar with DC than AC motors, but I suspect they are similar when it comes to current usage - a stalled motor (which, btw, is the same as a motor at rest, not turning) generally uses much more current than a non-loaded running motor - you can expect a motor running with a load to be somewhere in-between those two values. Generally, the stalled current of a motor will be several times higher than the running current (for instance, I have a small DC motor that runs on 12VDC - its running current is about 250ma, but its stall current is around 1.25A, over 4 times its non-loaded running current).

Depending on the size of your AC motor - your relay might not be big enough to do the job (but, once again, we need the specs for the relay and for the motor in order to know for certain).

Hi, the motor is :
VEXTA SYNCRONOUS MOTOR - 2CSM-101
Specific :
60hz 100v 1.5uF - 0.13mA 72rpm
60hz 100v120v - 1.2uF - 0.14mA - 72rpm
IMPEDANCE PROTECTED

The Realis is :
Liming
JRC-19F-5VDC-0.2W
1A - 125VAC
1A - 28VDC

I hope that is the correct info

Regards

KinoLab

Sorry... but someone has an idea ???

Regards

En

Hmm - what I saw here:

The label for that motor says "0.14/0.13A" - not "0.14/0.13mA"; as you posted...?

I can't tell, though, by your information or by the information on the above link whether that is "running current" or "stall current", and the motor is apparently old enough to not have any specs otherwise available on the internet.

In order to actually find out the stall/running current experimentally, you would need to get a meter that can measure it; the easiest would be one of those "clamp" style inductive meters...

It seems though, that even if that were the running current, the stall current would likely be under the 1A contact rating of the relay (the relay appears to be a 5V coil, with 1A contacts); it should be OK...

Overall, it looks like it should be OK for the application...I don't know why it is failing...?

When you say "everything turns off" - what is "everything" (Arduino? Relay? Motor? PC? All of the above?)...? Do you know if you have something else hitting against that same serial port, causing the Arduino to auto-reset, and get out of sync with the PureData app or something like that?

I honestly don't know where this is going wrong at this point...

:-/

Hi, I think that the problem comes from the USB connection of Arduino, I've tried with a new one and everything goes on.....

I don't know....

Anyway...

Thanks to all..

Regards

KinoLab

By the way it’s Relay not Realis :wink:

Left