Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum so feel free to move it.
I'm thinking of a project that would involve dispensing pellets (of food). The dispensing part of the project needs to fulfil the following conditions:
- the dispenser must be fed by a hopper which contains at least 50 pellets
- the dispenser must be able to dispense pellets of a certain size e.g. 5mm to 30mm
- the dispenser must only dispense one pellet at a time
- the dispenser should not need any manual adjustment for the pellet size
- the dispenser must be controllable electronically
I have looked online to see whether any existing dispensers that meet the above conditions (or could be adapted to meet the above conditions) but I couldn't see anything. Is anyone aware of any such device?
If not, I have been thinking about designing my own. One idea which came to mind is to have a tube which has an opening with something like a metal claw (like one of those head massagers). A plunger would slowly push the pellets down the tube and force one pellet through the claw - once the claw closed (after the pellet was forced through) the plunger would be told to stop.