Peltier Cell 12V on Arduino

Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to connect a peltier cell to a 12V source without burning the Arduino, using only transitors.

I saw many tutorials where "mosfet" is used for this operation, however, I don't have a mosfet and I don't even know where to find it.

my transitors are of high quality, 1/4w and 1% loss.

thanks.

onlinktv:
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to connect a peltier cell to a 12V source without burning the Arduino, using only transitors.

I saw many tutorials where "mosfet" is used for this operation, however, I don't have a mosfet and I don't even know where to find it.

my transitors are of high quality, 1/4w and 1% loss.

thanks.

That is the ONLY way to make the connection.

Do you know the current needed for your Peltier? Both 12 volts and that current necessary will smoke and Arduino in no time.

The other way is to use relays. Just what do you want the Peltier to do?

Paul

First of all, thanks Paul for answering me.

I'm building a mini air conditioner and I'm going to use the peltier cell to cool.

I want to use the arduino to turn on the peltir cell via infrared control, so I would need to know how I can do this using a 12V / 2A ampere source, I don't need to regulate the temperature, just to turn the cell on and off.

the answer to that question would also help me to be able to turn on the 12v fans.

thanks again and sorry for the english, i'm from brazil.

Let me ask again! How much current does your Peltier take at 12 volts?

You have a choice to turn it on and off using either a relay or a logic lever fet. Both can be chosen when you know the current needed by the Peltier.

Paul

Hi,
You cannot just turn a Peltier device ON.
You need to monitor its temperature differential and provide a method of radiating the heat developed on the hot side.

It is easy to over heat and destroy a Peltier device.
The specs of the devices will give you the maximum temperature differential.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Post the transistor part numbers. It might be possible you can pump lots of current through some transistors. Post all your parts and details so we’re not just guessing.