People counter to keep a log of visitors over wifi network

I do voluntary work at small arts space under pressure from funders to better record visitor numbers. As such I'm looking to find a way to log and record visitor numbers automatically. Commercial products for this are prohibitively expensive!

A simple tripwire (arduino, laser module, LDR) would seem to be the best option, although as a bonus I was wondering if it was possible to record the numbers over the gallery's wifi network onto our computer, using a wifi shield on the arduino.

Does anyone know how feasible this is, or what software might be able to record the numbers to a database?

I have some sporadic experience of Arduino, but nothing involving wifi.

Any help much appreciated!
Nick

A better idea of the layout of your exhibit and some information about how the visitors get access would help.

KenF:
A better idea of the layout of your exhibit and some information about how the visitors get access would help.

There's one door which serves as access to the gallery, which consists of a ground floor and basement spaces. We wouldn't need differentiation on who's accessing which part - just a crude count of how many people enter/exit via the main door. Each floor is roughly 100m2 (10x10) and wifi coverage is good throughout. The office with the computer is in the opposite corner from the main door, on the ground floor.

I get the idea that you don't need to be 100% accurate. In which case I'd simply use a pressure mat across the entrance. Naturally there would be some inaccuracy since some folk will step on the mat more than once etc..

To calibrate it you could compare your results from a manual count over a period of time. Applying a correctional factor would then get you results that would be statistically pretty consistent.

Thanks for the suggestion. A pressure mat might be difficult as the door has minimal clearance from the floor and swings inwards over the area the mat would potentially be situated, do you think it would be significantly easier/cheaper than the laser/LDR option?

Any ideas about the wifi aspect of the project?