Performing Burst Pressure Test

Hi,

I intend to use arduino to run a burst pressure test on a 20L bottle. I have a pressure transducer (4-20mA) to measure the internal pressure of the bottle over a period of time. I also have an ASCO proportional valve and a solenoid valve (24VDC, normally closed) that I will need to be able to actuate with the arduino.

What I need to do is use the pressure reading from the transducer to throttle open/close the proportional valve over a 10 second period as the pressure inside the bottle builds (the throttling is required so that the pressure in the bottle builds linearly over 10 seconds (at a rate of ~1 psi/second. Once the pressure transducer senses a specific pressure level, I want the arduino to signal to close the solenoid valve and the proportional valve so that no water enters the bottle for 60 seconds.

After the 60 seconds, the solenoid valve opens, and the proportional valves opens to allow water to continue entering the bottle to build the pressure over another 10 seconds to the next specified pressure level, and then the valves close again for another 60 seconds.

This cycle repeats until the internal pressure reaches the maximum value or the bottle bursts, whichever comes first.

Now, I have limited experience and knowledge with arduino, so I am looking for guidance on how to create the sketch for this project and electrical background so that I don't overload anything.

From my understanding, the pressure transducer will be an analog input as it is tracking a variable (pressure) and the proportional valve and solenoid valve will be controlled by the digital outputs.

I am going to attempt to write out the code over the next several days, however I am looking for some general advice and troubleshooting tips. I am looking for someone with a passion for arduino and teaching arduino to newbies that can help with my questions as I work my way through this project.

Thanks!

I am looking for someone with a passion for arduino and teaching arduino to newbies that can help with my questions as I work my way through this project.

There are lots of us here like that, each with different ways of conveying information. My advice, for now, is to get started.

This sounds like you are building a replica of an existing commercial pressure testing device. Search the manufacturer's sales literature to see how it is done in the real world, then figure out how to do the same thing at a tiny fraction of the price.

mikb55: This sounds like you are building a replica of an existing commercial pressure testing device. Search the manufacturer's sales literature to see how it is done in the real world, then figure out how to do the same thing at a tiny fraction of the price.

Essentially, yes, I am recreating a commercial test rig, but doing it with minimal material and cost. I referenced an existing test rig for the design of the fixture and the hydraulic circuit. Now it is a matter of being able to control the valves based on the pressure reading of the transducer via the arduino.

I have found a couple of other forums related specifically to using an arduino with a pressure transducer, and operating a solenoid valve with arduino, so I plan to integrate the coding for those devices for the purposes of my project as a start.

then figure out how to do the same thing at a tiny fraction of the price.

It is highly unlikely that the manufacturer of the existing device is gouging its customers that way. While you might be able to replicate the functionality, it will not be "at a tiny fraction of the price" unless you consider your time worth nothing.

If you do, don't bother coming here for answers. Just spend some more of that worthless time searching and trying.

Wow Paul,

What an asshole response. Thanks for contributing nothing to my thread other than your snarky criticism.