Permanent Arduino Uno Project

Hello All,

When creating a permanent Arduino project how do most of you make "permanent" connections to the Arduino Uno development board? The pin connections on the board seem to be geared toward temporary bread board type jumpers. I'm using an Ethernet shield in my project so adding another shield would take up a bit to much space. I had considered soldering to the bottom of the board but was curious what other's have done. Are there better options?

Perhaps the Uno is the wrong choice for a permanent project. I would love to know what the community recommends.

Thanks,

I regard the UNO as too expensive to be built into a permanent solution, but there are plenty of cheaper clones available - and quite a few have ancillary devices integrated so if you can find the right Arduino for your application you may not need a shield/add-on board at all.

Since even my 'permanent' projects aren't expected to last forever, I usually use clones with pin headers and make up the corresponding header sockets to connect to them. Not latching and not terrible robust, but I've never had any problems so far with connections coming out. Quite a lot of clones are supplied or available without the headers installed and it's easy enough to solder wires directly to them if you prefer that.

I've used smaller boards as the permanent project, like a ProMini. Or built up my own arduino equivalent with IO as needed for the rest of the project. You could use one of the headerless boards, add feed-through connectors, and have longer pins to work with.

Thanks for the feedback. Do the clones typically use the same libraries & Arduino application to compile the code? I think for this first project I will forego soldiering any connections and use the pin headers.

Any board using the same 328-2560-32U4-1284 etc. microcontrollers can use the same libraries & apps. The quality of the board and the parts around the uC may be questionable ...

You could use a standalone atmega chip ( you can use atmega8 or something cheaper if your program is small). This will way reduce cost and space on board. Arduino website has information on how to use a standalone chip/load bootloader on it/program it and use it. You will just need few components to keep it going.

I have used a small protoshield (http://www.freetronics.com/products/protoshield-short), which fits atop the ethernet shield without adding any height (see the pictures at the link). The shield's smaller form factor means that it does not project above the ethernet connector itself.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think the protoshield will work well for my project. For the next one Ill be using a standalone chip, at least that's my plan.

vz101: Thank you everyone for the replies. I think the protoshield will work well for my project. For the next one Ill be using a standalone chip, at least that's my plan.

I used a proto mega shield from Freetronics with my Arduino mega, it's great.