Permanent Digital Circuit

Hi guys,

I'm very new to arduino so sorry if I've miss understood the concept.
As part of a university project my lab group have used an arduino as a voltage dependent motor control and it has worked brilliantly.
What I would like to know is if there is a way to take what the code has described to the board and make it into a permanent digital circuit so the arduino board can be reused? Similar to the way one might use an FPGA in conjunction with an HDL to develop a system.

Thanks in advance. :grinning:
p.s sorry if this is posted in the wrong area of the forum.

A simpler and cheaper approach (to specialized digital circuitry) would be to buy another Arduino.

HDLs are Hardware Description Languages. What you write in a HDL is a description of a physical circuit (hardware) and can be used with automatic tools to configure an FPGA or make a board.

With a programming language, that's different. You're giving orders to the MCU. You don't describe what it IS, but what is DOES. So you need to set up a physical architecture (hardware), either keeping your Arduino board embedded in the project or designing your own board ; then upload the code into the MCU.

Understanding the difference between programming languages and HDLs is fundamental ^^

Converting to some sort of HDL for FPGA is a BFD - have you ever tried programming one of those things? It's miles and miles harder (and fundamentally different, as noted above) than programming arduino - PLUS you'll still need an FPGA, and a board it's soldered to - which will probably cost more than another arduino board. FPGA's don't grow on trees, you know.

You should look at the pro-mini and nano clones on ebay. I use pro-minis with CH340G serial adapters (too cheap for non-counterfeit FTDI. CH340G nano clones are equivalent to pro mini clone with CH340G), and bootload them as Uno's (the Uno bootloader is better). They're under $5 each shipped - I hear they don't grow on trees either, but you wouldn't know it from the prices. Get a few - you know chinese quality control.

Jremmington thanks as a short term idea a new Arduino would certainly be cheaper but I was considering the design (for the sake of the task) as a prototype which might later go into production.

Sacha although I knew there were some differences, between programming languages and HDLs, but my understanding is far from complete. I guess i was hoping there was some piece of software that could translate what the Arduino does (as programmed using code) into a design for a function specific piece of hardware. By the sounds of it the Arduino is not the way to go about that.

Thanks to both of you for you quick and very helpful replies.

Thanks DrAzzy, I don't know much about BFDs at all but i will certainly get on a bit of research to see what I'd be dealing with if I tried to take this further. Also thanks for the tip I will be heading over to ebay to check them out.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help out a total noob

If you've already made the piece of software you need, don't reinvent the wheel and as DrAzzy has suggested, get a cheap board and use that with your code. That's the cheappest and easiest way to do.

But you really have to think about it and the differences about programming and hardware description. They are two different world. In the first one, you describe what the circuit DOES. In the second one, you describe what it IS.
Keeping that in mind, you'll understand that you can't produce a piece of hardware using a programming code.

But I understand what you have in mind, sometimes there are circuits that do things, and if we don't want to use them, we can code it on a MCU for it to behave the same way the circuit does. Eventually, the result is the same: you have developped something that does what you want. But these 2 solutions are completely different in the way they are implemented.

Hi,

Google bareduino, it is a barebones PCB, or use a Nano.
There are other versions out there that have ISP programming on board, or USB programming like the UNO.

Tom..... :slight_smile: