Philips microprocessors?

I have some philips microprocessor chips and was wonder how they are programed. (I am not betraying arduino, These where salvaged :P)

The pin number of one on them is 80C31.

well that chip in particular has no rom so I don’t know what you really would be able to accomplish with it. It would never be able to retain the program you store on it. You would have to program it every time it boots up.

Here is the datasheet if you want more info:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/SC80C51BCGN40.pdf

The 8031/8051 series is (was) very popular; it was one of the first microcontrollers, available as
83xx (Masked program ROM), 87xx (UV Eraseable program memory, usually with a window), and 80xx (no rom; designed for use with external program memory.) (more recent versions have flash.) Unlike most modern microcontrollers, the 8051 had an external memory bus that could be set up to address both data and program memory (64k of each), and a masked rom part (as frequently available from surplus dealers for very cheap) could be jumpered to run only external memory, allowing a hobbyist to put together a system with a particularly cheap CPU. (Typical system would have the 80xx, a RAM chip, and EPROM chip, and some latches for the high address bits. Relatively complex.) There was also the relatively famous “Basic52” chip, which put a Basic interpreter in the onboard memory of an 8x52, allowing you to put basic programs (as text) in external EPROM or RAM.

As salvage, an 8031 isn’t worth much; it’d be expensive to make into a working system, and you can buy more modern flash versions like Atmel’s AT89S52 for under $5: http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c292/P10.pdf

Architecturally, it’s an “important” microcontroller; probably the most widely sourced architecture in existence. Almost EVERYONE makes some variants of an 8051, and many of the vendors have done interesting things; Silicon labs has high-res A-D converters and such, and a chip that runs off 0.9V. Atmel and NXP have “small” versions. Maxim/Dallas has high-speed versions (hmm. Lots of people have high speed versions; the original used 12 clock cycles per instruction!)

Wow, thats pretty neat! Its interesting to learn new stuff, especially on soemthing thats way past my time.

I remember when I was in highschool and first gettign into the PICs I read the art of assembly which dealt with the 8086 architecture if I remember correctly. there were a few mentions of the 8051 in the book.

However, I never learnt the process of actually programming them. was there an equivalent to avrstudio or the PIC IDE for the 8051? Did you compile and upload a hex file? Or was it something more primitive?

Usually, with the 8051-type chips, you would code in assembler, assemble on a host PC, then upload to the chip via a dedicated hardware programmer. But the methods and techniques changed over the years as Flash memory became available and graphical IDEs became popular.

In college (12 years ago), we had a board similar to the Arduino, based on an 8051. We complied code with a commerical C-Compiler and uploaded the hex file into RAM over RS-232.