phone answerer machine?

hi people!

I really want to build a little thing to put inside an old wall mouted phone where when you pick up the phone a voice will start speaking to you.
after which you go inside a choice menu where you can press any of the 9 number buttons to have another thing play.
I was wondering if there are already people who have done similar stuff with an old phone, ive been looking for tutorials etc but i seem to be using the wrong words as i cant find anything.

using a phones own buttuns and connecting them to arduino somehow seems very daunting to me.

So your phone is not connected to a telephone network?

Then it's not very complicated: connect the phone buttons and hook switch to Arduino inputs, and an MP3 player according to the player interface. An amplifier may be required between the player and the earphone capsule, or you replace it by some other speaker that fits together with the player.

For the software look for a MP3 player library (should come with the player module), and at the button debounce examples in the IDE.

gdjidje:
I was wondering if there are already people who have done similar stuff with an old phone, ive been looking for tutorials etc but i seem to be using the wrong words as i cant find anything.

In most parts of the world equipment connected to the public telephone networks needs specific approvals, so its not really a surprise its not common Arduino project.

okay so now I am in a bit of a pickle, I would really like to have the sound come from the horn of the phone.
obviously it already has a speaker and everything in there so im wondering can i use the phone horn and attach this wire to an arduino somehow? or maybe someone just knows what this attachment is called?

for some reason my images arent showing up so this is the direct imgur link:

An Arduino hardly can speak, that's why I suggest an MP3 player for that part of your project.

gdjidje:
for some reason my images aren’t showing up so this is the direct imgur link:

That is because you were not posting links to images.

I see a telephone handset with a modular plug. Don’t know where the telephone body went. Cute nail polish. :grinning:

The handset earpiece can be driven by an MP3 player module - these almost always include an audio amplifier so there should be no problem. The telephone keypad is generally a complete assembly; you will have to figure out how to separate the buttons to connect them to your Arduino.

If you want it to "feel" like an old phone, you can make it look like it is connected to the network by providing battery to the 2 wires coming out of it. Not sure how low a voltage will work. Phone company battery is -48Vdc. Use a transformer interface between the phone and the Arduino and do everything via audio. Use a DTMF receiver chip to figure out which buttons are pressed. You can even make a ring generator and generate DTMF back.

MikeLittle:
Phone company battery is -48Vdc.

And most PABXs are 24 V. Well, used to be!

Now run on POE.

Paul__B:
That is because you were not posting links to images.

I see a telephone handset with a modular plug. Don't know where the telephone body went. Cute nail polish. :grinning:

The handset earpiece can be driven by an MP3 player module - these almost always include an audio amplifier so there should be no problem. The telephone keypad is generally a complete assembly; you will have to figure out how to separate the buttons to connect them to your Arduino.

The phone I've taken apart to get a look at what I'm dealing with with regards to the electronics on the inside, regarding the keypad it's all connected to a circuit board with a bunch of other stuff where I don't know how it works connected to it.
So I'm gonna just put some basic buttons in underneath the buttonplates you see on the outside.
It might be a bit more work but I know for sure I can code and wire that without making big mistakes.

With regards to the phone horn and the mp3 module, it seems what you're saying is it's better to not use the phones own chord?

MikeLittle:
If you want it to "feel" like an old phone, you can make it look like it is connected to the network by providing battery to the 2 wires coming out of it. Not sure how low a voltage will work. Phone company battery is -48Vdc. Use a transformer interface between the phone and the Arduino and do everything via audio. Use a DTMF receiver chip to figure out which buttons are pressed. You can even make a ring generator and generate DTMF back.

Okay I have an arduino transformer cord thing that I've used before which will go into the wall here in Europe and drive the arduino no problem, so I think I will use that.
But it's for an art project so it might just look way better with chords hidden and just using the batteries.
The old plug will have to go either way because it's not used here anymore, which is also why I'm a bit scared of using the circuit board inside.