Photodiode breakout board

Hi guys

I would like to make a chronograph for my airsoft hobby.
The software and screen is easy enough, but making a relatively high speed optical sensor for the BB is a little beyond my abilities.

So the question is: Are you aware of a breakout board or similar kind of ready made solution which uses a photodiode capable of switching at frequencies around 400-ish kHz?
I need only a binary output to trigger an interrupt.
(my guesstimated necessary sensitivity, based on the velocity and size of the BB as well as the mechanical design)

You're trying to build a chronograph? Or something different?

Yes, as I wrote in the first post.
The chrono is already made a long time ago, but the photo transistors I used were not fast enough, so there was some instability in the measurements occasionally.
I’d like to revisit the project and make it work in a stable fashion.

A quick search turned up photodiodes that can do 10 ns switching times. That means a 100 MHz frequency. So your 400 kHz is easy.

Which photodiode are you using now?

Also please post your schematic.

What I learned from my two-minute Google search on "photodiode switching speed" is not only that there are 10 ns photodiodes, but also that one of the things that may slow it down is a too weak pull-up resistor. That diode of course has a capacitance, as has the rest of your circuit, including the wiring and the input pin of your Arduino, and the larger that resistor value the greater the RC constant of that circuit and the slower it reacts.

The problem is not to find a photodiode with adequate switching speed, the problem is that in order to get a good signal to trigger on, I need amplification between the diode and the pin on the arduino.
I only have a tentative, napkin-style schematic right now, as I got some advice from one of the analog hardware designers at work. Once the signal has been made digital, the rest of the schematic is rather trivial.
However, this is exactly the reason why I'm looking for a breakout board: Putting together the amplifier circuit could take quite some time.
It would make the development much faster if there was such a thing.
I flexed my Google Fu quite a lot, but it was too weak for me to find any such boards.
Apparently, not a lot of people need fast switches.

What kind of amplification? A simple comparator may do the job cleaning up the signal. Or a Schmitt trigger.

Good point, since I need just a single digital pulse with 1-2 seconds between measurements, a comparator or Schmitt trigger might do the job.
I guess I just need to make sure the input impedance is high enough that the diode can pull it up/down.

OpAmps have very high input impedance, there exist OpAmps that go down to < 1 pA input current, but even a cheap standard OpAmp is in the low nA range. No worries there.