Photodiode in series

Greetings to all,
I want to use photodiode in series with IR emmiter for increasing the range of the sensor. I’d like to know is that practical or is there a better way to expanding my sensors width?
Thank you,

To increase IR sender range, use additional IR LEDs, increase the LED current, or both.

jremington:
To increase IR sender range, use additional IR LEDs, increase the LED current, or both.

My means was expanding sensor sensitive area, for example if I use a 5mm photodiode my sensitive area width is 5mm, I want to use two 5mm photodiode side by side to increase sensitive area to 10mm.

I hear some very loud xy alarm bells ringing.

Please describe the complete project and the actual problem that you have. I have to admit to not knowing much about photodiodes, but just placing two in parallel (which I expect would work a lot better already than series) to improve sensitivity just doesn't feel right to me.

Increasing the "sensitive area" will probably not increase the range.

As suggested above, describe the complete project.

We may have a language problem here. I think the OP is talking about increasing the receiving area using 2 photodiodes. That may be practical but probably in parallel rather than series or better separately connected and read.

Unfortunately talking about an IR emitter which does the transmitting NOT the receiving then confused matters.

Or perhaps I don't understand the question either.

Steve

for increasing the range of the sensor.

What sensor? Post a link to the data sheet or product page.