Photon Project with Photo-Multiplier on Arduino

Hello Guys,

I’m PhD student on High Energy Physics and I need to make a detector for Photon analysis. Like CERN. I have photo-multiplier (PMT) now. But I need a converter like analog to digital. Because, PMT’s give us some analog signals… I need an arduino with the highest processor capacity and resolution. (I mean as much as possible).

Can you help me guys? Which arduino model best for my project and which side parts should I use on this project? I’ll make this project with my supervisor.

Thank You…

Huh, like CERN... My first thought was: such model doesn't exists yet. Can you write more about PMT, its output and some performance needs? The prices are low (from my view at least and in compare with such things like ATLAS is) even you buy some of genuine models, so why not to buy any and test.

The fastest Arduino compatible board I know of is the Teensy 3.6 at 180MHz

Budvar10: Huh, like CERN... My first thought was: such model doesn't exists yet. Can you write more about PMT, its output and some performance needs? The prices are low (from my view at least and in compare with such things like ATLAS is) even you buy some of genuine models, so why not to buy any and test.

I am already working on CMS Experiment with CERN.. But, I want to prepare a little experiment equipment for high school students.

Most of people doesn't know anything about CMS so I used CERN to explain myself. I can buy some of this genuine models and I can try it but I don't wanna to waste a lot of time.

SamIAm93:
The fastest Arduino compatible board I know of is the Teensy 3.6 at 180MHz

Thank you… Do I need analog digital converter with that?

shimseqh: Thank you.. Do I need analog digital converter with that?

That depends on the spec of the conversion, doesn't it?

Hi, Umm.. unless you are integrating the output, a PhotoMultiplier (Wikipedia) is intrinsically a digital device, producing an output for EACH photon it detects (and multiplies)..

So if the photon rate is slow (I've seen 3 or 4 per second from a distant star) you can count them. If you are looking at a lot higher rate of photons then you may want to integrate or filter the PMT output and then do an analog measurement.

Just what ARE you measuring?

Hi everyone We want to measure photons with PMT tube Hamamatsu-10722-113. We use also arduino. Although We see 5V level photons via oscilloscope, We didn't measure. We measure 4V-3V-3V level photons. I mean, We lost high level doses. Generally, When signal decrease 2v-3v-4v level, we can measure photons.

How can we measure high level doses without lost it? Thank you

halil58: Hi everyone We want to measure photons with PMT tube Hamamatsu-10722-113. We use also arduino. Although We see 5V level photons via oscilloscope, We didn't measure. We measure 4V-3V-3V level photons. I mean, We lost high level doses. Generally, When signal decrease 2v-3v-4v level, we can measure photons.

How can we measure high level doses without lost it? Thank you

A schematic of your circuit is necessary to figure out what you are doing.

Paul