Photoresister advice needed please

Hi,

I'm doing a project that requires the use of several photoresistors, and have just had a heart-wrenching thought. They need to be about 12" apart, so will I need seperate arduino boards/bread boards for each one gulp. I'm hoping (and praying) that there is a way of utilising lengths of jumper wire.

I'm a newbie, so please excuse my lack of knowledge! Hey, we've all got to start somewhere right?

Thank you in advance :-)

Have you looked at the playground and around the internet for similar projects?

12 inches shouldn't be a problem (12 feet on the other hand...?)...

Hi Tonyodonnell01. Yes I have, but I can’t find anything that answers my questions unfortunately.

Could I buy a long length of something similar to a jumper wire, cut sections off then insert two lenths of that into the breadboard instead of the photoresistor itself, then solder each photoresistor wire to the lengths of extension wire? Would this work? (I hope I’m making sense!)

Please see the attached pitcure.

Thanks

extension_wires.jpg

yeah, why not? just make sure they're as short as possible, because long wires make more resistance, and thus making the measurements less correct...but 12" is perfectly possible

i don't really see the point, 12" isn't far at all, is it? i mean, i've seen longer wires than that :)

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough at the start. There are going to be 8-10 light dependent resisitors - each 12" (approx .... maybe slightly less) in a line. So the furthest one away will be a good few feet from the board. If I soldered them properly would this be a problem?

Also will any single core wire do?

Thanks

Also, I was going to use these: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/ldr?keyword=light, but would these: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/light-dependent-resistor-norps12?keyword=light be more accurate?

I just need them to act like a switch, so when they’re in near darkness (hand placed over the top) an action will be triggered.

so you mean you'll put them i series? well, euh ok ö

yeah, normally it should yes, but i think you should make sure it's copper, since 5V gets pulled down quite quickly with long wires.

and for the LDR, i don't think you should take the expensive ones. since it will be a 'big' differnce between light and dark (as i understand from your post) it won't be necessairy. normal LDR's can act perfectly for this job.

and just one more thing, it's better to modify your post, rather then to double post, that keeps more of an overview :)

OK thanks!

I promise I’ll modify from now on :slight_smile:

Is there such a thing as single core copper wire? … Or is it the stranded stuff that used to be common in school projects? Sorry again for my appalling lack of knowledge.

you surely have them. here's a set that should do the job, it's just as an example:

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/124

Yes I have a set of jumper wires, but they're no where near long enough. I need to know how to extend them. Is this possible to do, and if so what is the best wire to use? Cheers

Buy a spool of wire.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=solid+core+wire

Yes I want to buy a spool of wire, but my question was what type of wire would be best? Does it matter? Some one in an earlier post replied that I could consider using copper wire .... which would suggest that it does matter. When I know what I want to buy, yes I will Google it .... but at the moment I'm just trying to get advice on what I need :-)

So ....

The options appear to be single core wire (similar to jumper wires) or copper wire (not sure if this is stranded or single core). Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stranded wire should be used if the wire is going to flex in any way once you have built the thing. Solid core wire will fracture if flexed continuously. The wire you use is not very important however, what is important is the ammount of interference you pick up, that is what could cause you the trouble rather than the wire. 22SWG wire is fine.