Photo's of My Land Based FPV Project. Critics Welcome.

Hello,
Simply Getting to a point where I would like to share my work and get some feedback.

The camera will eventually Move on up/down, left/right axis. The platform will change as well. Im working on the chasis you see that has the huge wheels. The Wheel that inspired that aspect weighs 129g. Just one. As you will see it has CD’s as wheels. There are rubber bands well adhered to each of the rims. Some concern already about the durability of the wheels. Though I do think there is a chance the could last longer then the rubber as long as they never shatter. Also, surprisingly to me. the rubber simply will not come off. super glue really goes nuts on joining for some reason. Not meant to be fast. obviously.

Intended specs:

Distance traveled on one charge w/solar, 300 miles (don’t laugh I’m serious)

top speed 20mph

Up time, w/o travel, 4 days

maximum range 5-10 miles

What sort of transmitter/receiver are you using that has a 10mi range?

None currently. I feel somewhat confident that the 5 mile barrier should not be hard using conventional FPV equipment. 10 miles... Idk best I can say. Suggestions on that matter would be great.

I am currently using an HC-12 pair. 1000km not tested personally.

jgreene33:
None currently. I feel somewhat confident that the 5 mile barrier should not be hard using conventional FPV equipment. 10 miles… Idk best I can say. Suggestions on that matter would be great.

Yo dog, conventional FPV ranges about 1mi or less. Also, HC-12s have a 1,800 METER range (as in 1 Km) - and that’s line of sight (if you have anything inbetween TX and RX like a building, you can expect a more restricted range).

Hi,

I think you have your kilometres and metres mixed up.
Tom....... :slight_smile:

Typo. You knew what I wanted to say.

jgreene33:
None currently. I feel somewhat confident that the 5 mile barrier should not be hard using conventional FPV equipment. 10 miles... Idk best I can say. Suggestions on that matter would be great.

Conventional FPV gear might well be good for 10Miles, with airborne copters and planes, there is normally very good line of sight after all and not a lot between the TX and RX but air.

With the car at ground level, you might expect range to be 100th (or less !) of the airborne line of sight range.

The difference between good line of sight (to airborne stuff) and ground range in urban areas can be around 1000:1, with the same equipment and powers.

That looks like a fun project.
I like the use of the old antenna for the telescopic mast for the camera. does it cause a lot of vibration on the image?

are you using servos to drive the wheels? is it feasible to get 20kmh from servos? with any degree of torque?

in terms of FPV gear and ranges, I have pretty decent experience with this, the most I have gotten out of a standard 500mw transmitter with good antennas is 3km. people say they can get more, I couldnt.
That was airbourne, on the ground that would go down to a few 100 meters on a good day.

Also ANY other wireless signals in the area, and causes of multipathing will give you a headache.

The project looks fun though