PIC to Printer

Is it possible to use the PIC to make the printer print without going through the pc?

Well this is a board about the Arduino not about the PIC. The simple answer is no, assuming you have a USB printer.

oh yeah, I have a follow-up question about that. What Arduino chip can be used in this project? If USB type is not compatible, what kind of connection should be used?

What Arduino chip can be used in this project?

What project?

I am not sure you understand but you need a parallel or serial printer to interface to a micro controller like these, I am not sure they make them anymore. It is not a matter of what connection to use.

Grumpy_Mike:

What Arduino chip can be used in this project?

What project?

I am not sure you understand but you need a parallel or serial printer to interface to a micro controller like these, I am not sure they make them anymore. It is not a matter of what connection to use.

Because I had an idea where I can make the printer a bond paper dispenser. So I wondered if its possible. Lets say from the keypad, I inputted my desired bond paper size and quantity to be dispensed, after that the printer dispenses the inputted data/info. Just like that

Can I modify the usb port and replace it with a parallel/serial port?

What is a a bond paper dispenser?

I inputted my desired bond paper size and quantity to be dispensed

So you have a printer with multiple paper trays and you want to select a number of blank sheets to be dispensed from a specific tray? Is this right? What printer do you have that does this?

Can I modify the usb port and replace it with a parallel/serial port?

We are talking about modifying your printer here not the arduino. I would guess no.

Grumpy_Mike: What is a a bond paper dispenser? So you have a printer with multiple paper trays and you want to select a number of blank sheets to be dispensed from a specific tray? Is this right? What printer do you have that does this?

We are talking about modifying your printer here not the arduino. I would guess no.

More like a set of printers to serve that kind of bond paper only. Like just for short bond papers and long bondpapers

No? What can you suggest to make this idea be realized? And as of now, I don't have the idea what printer to use, still in research mode and I can't push through if I don't know if this idea is feasible or not

More like a set of printers to serve that kind of bond paper only.

So each size of paper comes out of a different slot? I can't see this project being practical or economical using printers, unless they are scrap printers and you hack them to drive the motors directly.

Grumpy_Mike:

More like a set of printers to serve that kind of bond paper only.

So each size of paper comes out of a different slot? I can't see this project being practical or economical using printers, unless they are scrap printers and you hack them to drive the motors directly.

Yes. Something like that.

If there are other options I would happily accept them but using a printer is the only way I know. You're right, maybe I can do that. Whenever the input is finished, the printer should run automatically with the help of a relay. Does Arduino have this capabilities?

Does Arduino have this capabilities?

Yes, you can drive motors directly you don't need a relay. If they are stepping motors you need to drive them directly as a relay will not work to drive them.

If the printers have a serial interface you can send a PCL/ASCII code for FormFeed (char(12) ) and it will dispense a page. Worked fine on those old HP laserjets and Epson printers. PCL 6 contains escape codes for selecting papertray's IIRC.

Save a tree, don't print this post ;)

You can send JCL / PCL / PS commands over a network. They would have to be network printers and they would have to understand JCL / PCL or maybe PS.

I have not tried with PS but I have sent text to network printers before.

copiertalk: You can send JCL / PCL / PS commands over a network. They would have to be network printers and they would have to understand JCL / PCL or maybe PS. I have not tried with PS but I have sent text to network printers before.

Network printers? How would I know that?

robtillaart: If the printers have a serial interface you can send a PCL/ASCII code for FormFeed (char(12) ) and it will dispense a page. Worked fine on those old HP laserjets and Epson printers. PCL 6 contains escape codes for selecting papertray's IIRC.

Are there any specific model that I can use? Where is the coding done?

Grumpy_Mike: Yes, you can drive motors directly you don't need a relay. If they are stepping motors you need to drive them directly as a relay will not work to drive them.

Cool. What specific kind of Arduino? Noted. I removed the relay.

Network printers? How would I know that?

Most network printers have an RJ45 jack on them and connect via a regular ethernet cable to a switch, hub or router.

PCL is well documented

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13205/bpl13205.pdf

pcl6 is different than pcl5 so check on the coding between the two diferent types of devices.

copiertalk: Most network printers have an RJ45 jack on them and connect via a regular ethernet cable to a switch, hub or router.

PCL is well documented

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_Command_Language

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpl13205/bpl13205.pdf

pcl6 is different than pcl5 so check on the coding between the two diferent types of devices.

Thanks for the link. A lot reading is needed here. The PCL are codes right? How and where do I put those codes so whenever the input is done, it will print/dispense the number of papers to be printed?

What specific kind of Arduino?

Any sort.

How and where do I put those codes

If you go down this route you will need an Ethernet shield to talk to the printer. If you have more than one printer you will also need a router.

Grumpy_Mike:

What specific kind of Arduino?

Any sort.

How and where do I put those codes

If you go down this route you will need an Ethernet shield to talk to the printer. If you have more than one printer you will also need a router.

I read about the Ethernet shield, it is for connecting to the internet? I think I don't need an internet connection. Can you explain to me how it works or just even a simple diagram with a printer?

the ethernet sheild allows you to hook an arduino up to a network.

you still do not have printers yet as posted above in the thread. you are trying to find a solution to a problem that does not yet exist.

Find the printers you wish to use and then descide the best way to hack them or communicate with them.

If you have a need for a number of printers it is going to get expensive for network ready printers.

copiertalk: the ethernet sheild allows you to hook an arduino up to a network.

you still do not have printers yet as posted above in the thread. you are trying to find a solution to a problem that does not yet exist.

Find the printers you wish to use and then descide the best way to hack them or communicate with them.

If you have a need for a number of printers it is going to get expensive for network ready printers.

okay. I will find a printer that I will use. Most of the printers uses usb ports though