Pick and place machine

Hey guys,

I am working on a project to build a pick and place machine and I am new to Arduino. The Gerber files will be given to place the parts on the board. My question is how Arduino will read and interpret these files and translate the order to the stepper motors to pick up the part and place it on the board. Will the Gerber File need any type of conversion to be read by Arduino?

Thanks.

Chechar04

chechar04: The Gerber files will be given to place the parts on the board.

Which parts? Which board?

My question is how Arduino will read and interpret these files and translate the order to the stepper motors to pick up the part and place it on the board.

Arduino does not read or interpret Gerber files. The stepper motors will not outomatically pick up any parts either. And the Arduino without further hardware will have trouble driving your stepper motor as well.

This is not trivial and this is what you will have to figure out...

Will the Gerber File need any type of conversion to be read by Arduino?

Again, Arduino does not know what to do with a Gerber file.

I recommend you start programming with an arduino, work through some tutorials etc.

Sorry that I am not very helpful, but your questions are so broad that it is really difficult giving any usefull information without doing your project for you.

cheers

p.

Will the Gerber File need any type of conversion to be read by Arduino?

The arduino itself can't read files, you feed them to it down the serial link. Yes you can write a program to interpreter Gerber files after all they are just composed of bytes. Whether you want to is another matter, I would have thought it much easier to do this at the PC end and feed simpler instructions into the arduino.

It's been long that I worked with Gerber files (made a convertor to postscript) and as far as I recall it did not include component information, only information about the copper traces. Do you have a link to the Gerber specification which describes how the components, their position and orientation are defined in Gerber?

-- update -- What I recall parsing Gerber was not trivial e.g. extracting size information, reference points etc. but as said that was long ago. Therefor I don't know if an Arduino with 2K RAM will be enough to hold a parser. It might be easier to do the parsing on a PC and send commands to pick & place one component over serial to the Arduino.