Picking the right card

We are looking into using the Arduino card to adjust a voltage intensity over a single wire along a CAT6 cable.

Just wanted to know what card I should be looking into to accomplish this simple test.

to adjust a voltage intensity

?? this means.... detailed

We are using Power over Ethernet to power LED light panels that have two sets of LED's and need to adjust down the voltage running across a set of the CAT6 wires to bring one set up and one set down. We are currently pushing around 36 volts and want to be able to adjust the voltage down and up for testing purposes.

To measure the voltage can be done using a voltage divider. To adjust it, with the the MCU requires more hardware..

How about no arduino at all, but a led driver circuit where u can preset current?

Thank you for the swift reply.

To help clarify some more, the Voltage and current will be measured with a Fluke power meter, that will feed data back to a PC. Also we are developing a way to automate testing in a semi mass production of our light products.

What we want to do is setup a power supply pushing power to the light through the arduino and use the arduino to basically throttle the power flow at different levels for say 2-3 seconds while the Fluke power meter takes a reading and sends the information back to us.

So basically all the arduino would have to do is bring the voltage from 36 volts down to 20 volts for three seconds or long enough to gather the information we need and then push back up to 25 volts for another reading.

We plan on sending the command to the arduino with a program called LabView.

We currently have a power supply that we can have set up where we push a button and it goes to a set voltage that will work for the short term while we are developing the software however we want to move to full automation.

U dont mention how much current u need feeding.. May this idea be a sted in the right direction.? A variable powersupply, based on UA723 voltage regulater can vary output voltage controlled by arduino via a digital potmeter. The circuit shown in link allows for high current. It may be redused if current needs is low(er) http://www.eleccircuit.com/power-supply-regulator-0-50v-2a-by-ic-lm723-transistor-2n3055-bd140-a671/

Thank you again for the replies, this really is helping me wrap my brain around the issue better.

After talking with my engineering team (our one mad scientist). What we are thinking of doing is to have the CAT6 cable split and run the blue wire to one switch and blue/white wire to another switch that can connect and disconnect the cabling leading to the lights. We would use an arduino to control the switches for either a time based, or use a program signal from the PC.

So, what arduino can communicate to two separate switching devices at the same time and give commands to each one separately? or would I need to purchase two separate arduinos to accomplish this?

Arduin UNO (ment for prototyping) or the Pro Mini (most for final / permanent) both have 18…20 GPIO-ports
U can control almost anything that takes less than 20…30mA.
The atmega328 / 32u4 chip can certainly be used.
Optocouplers is often a good idea to insulate the ‘arduino’ itself.

The pro mini requires an ttl <-> USB adapter ($2) for programming

I thank you very much, I will present these to our engineering team and should be able to start moving to actually putting stuff together and making it all work!

I thank you again Knut_ny!