Picking up a new skill

.. ..-. .. -. .- .-.. -.-- ..-. --- ..- -. -.. - .... . ... . -.-. .-. . - - --- --. . - - .. -. --. -- --- .-. ... . -.-. --- -.. . - --- ... - .. -.-. -.-

Dash it all.

I'd have to print it to join the dots.

...R

--. . - - .. -. --. / .. - / - --- / ... - .. -.-. -.- / - --- / .-- .... .- -

I hope you aren't trying to learn it visually.

Pete
P.S.
..-. .. -. .- .-.. -.-- is spelled incorrectly.

The hardest part is making sure you spell things right.

The secret I learned was to do it all by rhythm and not visually. After years and years of trying to learn Morse and only being able to actually remember S and O ( cause SOS) I was able to memorize the whole thing in about 45 minutes last night once I closed my eyes.

Now to practice til I can do it fast like the guys on the radio.

Learnt it last night :slight_smile:

Maybe you were listening to the intro to this while you slept

Every once in a while I consider how difficult it would be to understand words that were read to you one letter at a time, even if you had no trouble recognizing each letter :frowning:

em oh are ess ee see oh dee ee eye ess aych a are dee !

My boss of yesteryear was in a group that monitored morse code communications and who relayed messages on to the next station.
They would set around a table while listening to the beeps.
When they recognized their call signature, they would go to their station and started keying.

This was done while drinking coffee, laughing and talking to each other.

I never had those concentration skills.

Just listened to a whole paragraph at 5 wpm and only had to stop a few times. I've noticed that linking the beeps back to the letters has been significantly harder than the other way round. I learned how to encode pretty quick. Decoding takes a bit more practice. But at least now that I've learned to use my ears and not my eyes I can at least get the link one way and I can practice the other. It's actually kind of fun. I was listening to some old school ship traffic that was recorded way back in the day. MAN was it fast. But I was still able to recognize a few letters as they sped past.

I passed my Ham test last weekend. Waiting to get my callsign sometime this week or next. They say you don't gotta learn morse anymore, but I said that's a pitiful excuse not to do it.

westfw:
em oh are ess ee see oh dee ee eye ess aych a are dee !

Yes, morse code is hard.

However Scientific American think you can earn it when you are semiconscious

Am going to get a few beers in and give it a try at the weekend.

Delta_G:
I passed my Ham test last weekend. Waiting to get my callsign sometime this week or next. They say you don't gotta learn morse anymore, but I said that's a pitiful excuse not to do it.

Congratulations.

I'm not sure, but in Italy there is a "ham reduced license" that not use morse exame, maybe.

yes speedyant you have the license only for 2 meter frequency

In the US there’s no morse requirement at all as far as I can tell. Unless it’s for the Amateur Extra. I haven’t studied that one. I am going this month or next to take the general exam. But the technician license I got gives me all the UHF and VHF bands and a little bit of the 10m band if you do SSB.

Why is this a sticky? Are we gonna have a morse code requirement here at a.cc?

ChrisTenone:
Why is this a sticky? Are we gonna have a morse code requirement here at a.cc?

dot -.-. -.-. :smiley: :smiley:

I can see that this subject is interesting for a few people but I can’t see why this Thread has become a Sticky.

…R

I was wondering that myself. Wasn't gonna argue though, makes it easy to find. :slight_smile:

It has been unstuck

...R

For the fan of morse code, listen the song "Empire Of The Clouds" from Iron Maiden, before the starting of the guitar solo, maybe, you can listen the "sos"...

Robin2:
It has been unstuck

...R

So now I gotta keep bumping it? Thanks a lot @Robin... :smiley: