Picking up Bluetooth signal from buried Arduino?

Is it possible to have a buried Arduino maybe 1-2 feet in the ground and be able to pick up a signal via Bluetooth, Wifi etc?

What's the application?

My idea is to make some kind of enclosure I can bury and be able to track via an application on my phone with Bluetooth and maybe even GPS for map integration. Its to mark boundaries on land.

I'm thinking that will have 0 to very poor reception.

There any way I can make this work?

You can always hammer down a stick at the place You burried Your enclosure.....
To be serious. It probable depends on the kind of soil and the humidity in the soil. Just start testing! I doubt that anybody will know.

Telecom in Aus use small discs which are able to be located at a later date to mark the route of their cabling in country areas.

Don't know exactly how they work, could be some type of RFID disc.

Without any fencing, we always used to hammer a stick in the ground and then plant a fruit tree to mark boundaries.

Interesting I’ll have to look that up, thanks!

Bit of requirement description here…mainly starts page 13.

Telecom.pdf (664 KB)

Hmm this is a lot more complicated than I originally thought. Thanks very much for the documentation it was very insightful.

xgr1mx:
Is it possible to have a buried Arduino maybe 1-2 feet in the ground and be able to pick up a signal via Bluetooth, Wifi etc?

Would it not just be so easy to actually try it ?

While there is no specific peak absorption of 2.4 GHz frequencies, the fact that this is the frequency used by microwave ovens tells you that it is strongly absorbed by water.

Bluetooth, WiFi and Zigbee operate at this frequency, so you would expect poor performance through ground (unless extremely dry). Lora may be better and a simple 433 MHz system (with proper half wave dipole antennae) more promising.