pictures over Quebec

Hi,

I'm in secondary 4, and for a science exposition I would like to send a balloon in the sky to take pictures of quebec. 2KM high would be a minimum for me since I found this:

I have also been inspired by this project :

But the only problem/difference with them is that I will not be able to pick up my stuff after the lauch. It will probably fall in a forest. So I would need to send the pictures from the sky to a computer, also with the localisation, and some sensor values (I would like to incorporate the pictures and the info).

I tough of using the cellular network to do this, but I'm not sure if it is enough efficient and I only have a vague Idea of how to do it. I also tough about using android for an easier programming. The other option would be to use radio frequency, but I don't think I would be able to send pictures, or if I can, it would take a long time.

So I would like to know if you have ideas about how I could send pictures and info from the sky with an Arduino Mega 2560 (2 to more KM away).

Thanks a lot!

So I would like to know if you have ideas about how I could send pictures and info from the sky with an Arduino Mega 2560 (2 to more KM away).

The first thing you need to do is get the data from the camera, as fast as the camera is producing it. Then, you have to transmit it using the RF radios.

The Arduino is not nearly fast enough to collect the data from the camera faster than the camera produces it, even if it didn't do anything with the data.

Thanks for the reply, it's a good place to start.

The first thing you need to do is get the data from the camera, as fast as the camera is producing it. Then, you have to transmit it using the RF radios.

So I got to find a device wich will process/adapt the signal fast enough and then send it trough a quality RF transmitter right? or can the data be directly transmitted and processed on Earth?

So I'm gonna research for that, but if anybody has useful information, products suggestions, it will be welcome.

Thanks!

I will not be able to pick up my stuff after the lauch. It will probably fall in a forest

Firstly it would be a waste to lose all that kit in a forest.

And secondly wouldn't it be easier to come up with a small radio beacon or some other kind of direction-finding mechanism so you can retreive the pics and the gear. This is a pretty common thing to do these days although not everyone gets the box back even then :slight_smile:

Rob

Hi,

Well it would be way easier only having an Arduino connected to a cellphone texting the coordinates just like they did in holland (or anything else even easier) and then taking the pictures from a memory card.

1. But in Quebec, the weather is too unstable to predict enough precisely where the package will fall and the city is surrounded by forest and unreachable areas.

2. Even though, I plan to put a localisation device in the box in case it would fall in a nice place (1 chance on 3 maybe).

3. The money is not really a problem for that kind of project. If we are able to make this useful by taking any sensors readings in the atmosphere we will be able to be 100% refund.

4. It is still just a idea on paper, we want to evaluate the benefits vs. the losts, but for that, we need to know exactly what we can do.

Lastly, we will plan the project as if everything will be lost, because if it gets lost and we have no pictures or reading, then it will be a big waste! :stuck_out_tongue:

Google for things like "near space photography" and "RC airplane camera" to see what others have done. Lot of interesting stuff on youtube too.

Keep in mind that aircraft are hanging around up there. Please notify your nearest towered airport of your intended time of launch so that an appropriate NOTAM (notice to airmen) can be issued. You need to do this any time you launch something higher than the upper limit of the class E airspace.

Thanks for the advice.

I have not found anything on long range video streaming, or photo transmission yet. We are thinking about using a high speed processor and then send the data by RF using a special coding. It's gonna be harder then using a all-in-one device but it seems it does not exist for under 500$...

I'm gonna put news on this page when we will know more about what we are doing and in what directions we're going.

Well, there is some UAVs that send live video streaming using satellites. Some I could use the cellular network to send pictures, which is realistic (if the network is accessible), or other complicated ways.

We are gonna make our choice when we will know what would be our best option. I'm also gonna try contact meteo agency for weather ballon advices.

ok, I'm gonna try to get this information.

And thank you for all the advices and information, it's really helping us!

Salut Binette,

You should also think about waterproofing your project- lots of lakes and pools in our province.

I wish we had projects like yours when I was your age.

Good luck

I live at Beauport and my family with some friends are working on a similar projet. We are hoping launching in may.

Interesting,

Do you have a website or a blog on which you will post pictures?

Not at this time. I asked my son to create a website and he will be looking for it soon.... I hope :slight_smile:

We are still gathering informations and beginning planning the budget. I hope in a month we will begin buying equipment for onboard computers and imaging system.

Not a this time. :slight_smile:
Un der 115 sq feet of helium there is no need to call Transport Canada. But They would like this. This is your call.

But we can discuss it privately by phone or otherwise.