PID line follower robot

Hi there!

I have a robot which can follow lines using PID algorithims, it works quite nice and is relatively quick. However for an upcoming competition it has to be able to detect and turn right at intersections.

However with my code it does not seem possible, as it will detect a intersection as an error and not comprehend it has to turn right. I cannot think of a way to implement this while still using PID.

Should i convert back to non - PID methods, i believe it will be much easier yet slower and less smooth.

What do you think?

Here is my code

float Kp=0,Ki=0,Kd=0;
float error=0, P=0, I=0, D=0, PID_value=0;
float previous_error=0, previous_I=0;
int sensor[5]={0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
int initial_motor_speed=100;

void read_sensor_values(void);
void calculate_pid(void);
void motor_control(void);

void setup()
{
 pinMode(9,OUTPUT); //PWM Pin 1
 pinMode(10,OUTPUT); //PWM Pin 2
 pinMode(4,OUTPUT); //Left Motor Pin 1
 pinMode(5,OUTPUT); //Left Motor Pin 2
 pinMode(6,OUTPUT); //Right Motor Pin 1
 pinMode(7,OUTPUT);  //Right Motor Pin 2
 Serial.begin(9600); //Enable Serial Communications
}

void loop()
{
    read_sensor_values();
    calculate_pid();
    motor_control();
}

void read_sensor_values()
{
  sensor[0]=digitalRead(A0);
  sensor[1]=digitalRead(A1);
  sensor[2]=digitalRead(A2);
  sensor[3]=digitalRead(A3);
  sensor[4]=digitalRead(A4);

if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==1))
  error=4;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==1)&&(sensor[4]==1))
  error=3;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==1)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=2;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==1)&&(sensor[4]==1)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=1;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==1)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=0;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==1)&&(sensor[2]==1)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=-1;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==1)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=-2;
  else if((sensor[0]==1)&&(sensor[1]==1)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=-3;
  else if((sensor[0]==1)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0))
  error=-4;
  else if((sensor[0]==0)&&(sensor[1]==0)&&(sensor[2]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0)&&(sensor[4]==0))
    if(error==-4) error=-5;
    else error=5;

}

void calculate_pid()
{
    P = error;
    I = I + previous_I;
    D = error-previous_error;

PID_value = (Kp*P) + (Ki*I) + (Kd*D);

previous_I=I;
    previous_error=error;
}

void motor_control()
{
    // Calculating the effective motor speed:
    int left_motor_speed = initial_motor_speed-PID_value;
    int right_motor_speed = initial_motor_speed+PID_value;

// The motor speed should not exceed the max PWM value
    constrain(left_motor_speed,0,255);
    constrain(right_motor_speed,0,255);

analogWrite(9,initial_motor_speed-PID_value);   //Left Motor Speed
    analogWrite(10,initial_motor_speed+PID_value);  //Right Motor Speed
    //following lines of code are to make the bot move forward
    /*The pin numbers and high, low values might be different
    depending on your connections */
    digitalWrite(4,HIGH);
    digitalWrite(5,LOW);
    digitalWrite(6,LOW);
    digitalWrite(7,HIGH);
}

Thank you!

What are the sensor readings when you detect an intersection? Wouldn't all the values be 1? Isn't that a special case that you could handle differently?

By the way, the set of if statements you have is very hard to read/understand. Use bitWrite() to store the bits (0 or 1 from each sensor) into a byte, and just test that byte.

0,0,0,0,0 -> 0
0,0,0,0,1 -> 1
0,0,0,1,0 -> 2
0,0,0,1,1 -> 3

Then, assigning a value to error based on 0, 1, 2, 3, etc. is much more straight-forward.

yeah it would be 1111, so i guess if would have to break the PID code and handle that situation differently... the only problem with that is i believe it wouldn't be as smooth as if it were all under the PID code, but i guess there's no other way for a beginner programmer .

Thank You!

the only problem with that is i believe it wouldn't be as smooth as if it were all under the PID code, but i guess

Believing and guessing is nowhere near as good as trying and learning. YMMV.