PID Temperature control on Arduino Nano

I need to control temperature of a heater(1000W) to a given temperature profile.
Something like ramp up from ambient to 300 deg in 30 min and then keep it at 300deg for 15 min and then ramp down from 300deg to ambient in 30min.
I am using a K type thermocouple sensor.

1. I am not well versed with PID, does this kind of application really warrant the use of PID control on can I use simple on/off control.

2. I currently have an Arduino Nano board and if I do need PID would the PID library run of Anduino Nano considering that it has only a 8 bit processor on it?

3. Are there any existing projects that I can take inspiration from for the profile control part ?

Thanks in advance!

Are you baking a cake, or heat treating metal?

Try it with simple on/off control and check to see if the overshoots are within the specified temperature envelope. If not, use PID control.

Check your implementation against a $15 PID controller from Ebay.

mikb55:
Are you baking a cake, or heat treating metal?

Try it with simple on/off control and check to see if the overshoots are within the specified temperature envelope. If not, use PID control.

Check your implementation against a $15 PID controller from Ebay.

Thanks for the info.
What about the ramp up and ramp down can that be also achieved by on / off control.
I want ramp up form 30 to 300 deg C in 30 min.

ARdentLogic:
What about the ramp up and ramp down can that be also achieved by on / off control.

How about trying it, coming back and telling us?

Edit: There are a couple of projects using normal small baking ovens as a reflow device,
you could look how it is done there (with arduino). I've seen that on youtube...