Piezo Buzzer?

I have been trying to make a program for a competition in a few months and I have combined the ToneMelody and Button and I am ready to test it but I can't seem to find a buzzer to test it on... I have tried a Kingstate as well as Arduino compatible buzzer but both of them are only have a single tone and my last shot at this is a Murata which is included in the Arduino Basic Kit and Starter Kit.

Please tell me if this will work and any other buzzers that can work in this situation. I thank you in advance and hope I can be of help to others who are looking for these as well. :slight_smile:

If you've got a pair of powered computer-speakers, try those for testing. (The Arduino cannot directly drive regular 8-Ohm speakers, but computer speakers have an amplifier built-in.)

You need a piezo transducer (or "speaker" or "tweeter"). These are "simple" devices that convert electrical signals to vibrations in the air.

A "buzzer" has electronics built-in to generate the electrical signal. You can turn it on or off with the Arduino, but you can't change the frequency/pitch. You simply connect the buzzer to a DC voltage and it makes sound.

A transducer will just make a "click" when you first connect or disconnect DC voltage and it will remain silent while DC is connected.

and my last shot at this is a Murata

Have you tried that one? Without a part number I don't know if you've got a buzzer or transducer.

Thank you for the useful information. I haven't bought it but I think it's not a transducer but a buzzer... The part number is PKM13EPYH4000-A0 and comes with the Arduino StarterKit and BasicKit. May I ask why it is in the Kits if it doesn't make different pitches? Lastly, if all of them don't work, what would you recommend for me to use for my project?

Again, I thank you very much for all the information you have given me. :slight_smile:

The part number is PKM13EPYH4000

Have you tried it? [u]Here is the datasheet[/u]. It's a speaker.

I have to admit, the datasheet is confusing... They call it a "sounder". The biggest clues are the frequency response ("frequency characteristic") graphs which show a range of frequencies with sine & square waves and a couple of "external drive" circuit schematics.

P.S.
I assume you know that a piezo speaker is basically a tweeter? It gets weak at mid frequencies and it can't put out low frequencies at all. Square waves (i.e. the tone() function) contain higher frequency harmonics, so for example, at 500Hz you'll hear the harmonics but you won't hear the 500Hz fundamental. You'll see that if you look at the difference between the sine and square wave frequency characteristics graphs on the datasheet.

In other words... You'll get better sound quality from a pair of powered computer speakers, if that's important to you.

Thank you again for filling me in. I will see if this works but do you know any good piezo transducers that will definitely work for my project? If so please recommend them to me as it will help a lot :slight_smile:

You have helped me so much so far and I bet you have helped many other people before me. Thank you very much.

It should work. Nothing's "definite". :wink: Hurry up and try it already! :stuck_out_tongue: Just try the [u]tone()[/u] function. Make sure it's making sound before you try your real software...

If the transducer is not defective and if your Arduino is working and you've connected it correctly, it will make tones. The only question is the "quality" and perhaps the loudness of the sound.

Since you last replied, I have tried the Kingstate again (with some persuasion from my dad) and it worked! So I don't need the speakers after all but if there are any problems, I will definitely use them as a substitute.

Thank you for the last time in this post and hopefully we will meet again on other forums :slight_smile: