Pin 1 Problem

So I created a program that flashes lights on pins 1 and 7, now I cannot reprogram my board, and my computer does not pick it up. Did I do something wrong? How can I fix this? Thanks Guys!

Arduino Duemilove 328 IDE: 0015 (Does not work on any computer :( )

Don't use pin 1 or pin 0, these are used to communicate with the USB and thus into the computer. Just disconnect the circuitry from pin 1 and you should be OK.

well I made a program that makes a light flash (LED w/Resistor) on pin 1, and I was wondering how I can fix this.

The problem is the 1k resistor in between the USB chip and the AVR. This allows the AVR to “override” the USB chip, but if the pin-1 side of things is significantly loaded, the voltages from the USB chip get dropped to the point where they’re not strong enough to be recognized by the serial port during uploading. You can try a larger current limiting resistor on LED. Something 1k or over should probably work. (if your LED is still bright enough at such low currents.)

so, you are saying I should put in a resistor over 1k in the pin 1 port to my LED, and give it a go?

so, you are saying I should put in a resistor over 1k in the pin 1 port to my LED, and give it a go?

Precisely what he's saying.

In general, stay away from pins 1 and 0 unless you're comfortable with serial communication.

ya, I saw the RX pointing to pin 0, but it was dark at the time, and I did not see the TX pointing to pin 1, so I am a complete noob, thanks guys I will have to try and see if I can reprogram the board :D

Also, what is a AVR?

so, I tried plugging in a resistor to a LED on pin 1, and my computer still did not pick up my Arduino, any other ideas?

Remove the LED and resistor from pin 1. Plug them in to some other pin.

The AVR is the name of the chip, made by Atmel, that is the processor in the Arduino.

do I connect it to pin 7 or just a random one.

here is the code that is on the chip as of right now:

int ledPin = 1; 
int ledPin2 = 7;

void setup()                    // run once, when the sketch starts
{
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);      // sets the digital pin as output
  pinMode(ledPin2, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()                     // run over and over again
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // sets the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // waits for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // sets the LED off
  delay(1000);                // waits for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin2, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(ledPin2, LOW);

}

Use this instead

#define ledPin 6
#define ledPin2 7

void setup()                    // run once, when the sketch starts
{
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);      // sets the digital pin as output
  pinMode(ledPin2, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()                     // run over and over again
{
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // sets the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // waits for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // sets the LED off
  delay(1000);                // waits for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin2, HIGH);
  delay(1000);
  digitalWrite(ledPin2, LOW);

}

Thats a great idea, however I CANNOT program my Arduino! My computer just picks it up as COM PORT 1, and nothing else, and I cannot install drivers again, after I had it working.

since I am very interested in this, I thought about just buying another chip here is the ATMEGA 328 pre-programmed for $6.00 bucks, or is there a simpler solution?

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=123

well crap, I bought the new chip and it arrived today, but when I plugged it in, my computer still picks up the arduino board as COM Port 1 why?

Because the communication with the PC goes through the FTDI chip, and it's the FTDI chip that gets the PC to create a serial port.

If you plug in you arduino to a different USB port, does it come up with a different port number? Mine does. If not, it might be your FTDI chip that is the problem, or the drivers on your PC

ya, I decided just to buy another board, they are only like $30 bucks or so. Well Thanks! :smiley:

You could try deleting the Arduino from your device manager <I’m assuming windows >. If you go into device manager and expand the usb section then plug in your Arduino you should be able to see which device gets added. Once you know which one it is delete it and unplug your Arduino. When you plug the Arduino back in again the drivers should be reinstalled as they where when you first used it. It might not fix your problem, but it’s worth a try I think. Good luck.
:sunglasses: