Ping Tutorial Question

Hi,

New to arduino and making my way through the forms and website but have a query about the ping range finder.

It is more general than Arduino specific.

Will the lenght of the wires between the Ardunio board the transmitter/receiver have a big difference to teh accuracy?
Say if they were 1m or 10m in lenght for example.
I am assuming you would have to take this into consideration in the design.

If you (and this is really my question) how would you calcuate this into the design?

The voltage drop of 10meters of capable is going to be more important than propagation delay through it. You calculate that by taking the ohms per meter and multiple by the length. Then it is a simple matter of ohm's law.

Keeks: Hi,

New to arduino and making my way through the forms and website but have a query about the ping range finder.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Ping

It is more general than Arduino specific.

Will the lenght of the wires between the Ardunio board the transmitter/receiver have a big difference to teh accuracy? Say if they were 1m or 10m in lenght for example. I am assuming you would have to take this into consideration in the design.

If you (and this is really my question) how would you calcuate this into the design?

The length of the wires will have absolutely no effect on how the Ping works.

Even if you did care about a few nanoseconds of propagation delay, the delay in STARTING a range event will be canceled out by the delay in the RETURNING echo signal.

And since you are working with multi-millisecond times (speed of sound is nominally 1125 feet per second), a few nanoseconds plus or minus is irrelevant.

Thanks for the info.....trying to remember all this electic circuit stuff that I should know the answers to. Been too long away from basic circuits.

Thanks Guys. Expect more simple questions :D