Pinging devices?

I'm fairly new to electronics, and I've just got myself some sensors to experiment with using the Arduino Uno. I've been using an ultrasonic range sensor (Seeed Studio Bazaar, The IoT Hardware enabler.), which has a Vcc, GND, and SIG pin.
I assumed the data would be sent as an analog signal, in the same way as you'd read a pot connected to an input on the arduino. This was wrong, and I found some code that gives me a value in the serial monitor for the distance to the sensor. I'm pleased it now works, but I'd really like to understand it properly so that I can improve my knowledge. I'm an experienced programmer, so I understand the code side of things. Just not the concepts of switching inputs with outputs. This is the code, found on the arduino playground:

// * Copyleft 2007 Jason Ch
This code returns the distance in Inches... I think it's more accurate than other code I have seen online and returns more usable results.
Remove the *.39 to return cm instead of inches. You could make float ultrasoundValue = 0; 
but then you can't print it unless you transfer it into another type, but it could be used for further calculations.

unsigned long echo = 0;
 int ultraSoundSignal = 9;                      // Ultrasound signal pin
 unsigned long ultrasoundValue = 0;

void setup()
 {
   Serial.begin(9600);
   pinMode(ultraSoundSignal,OUTPUT);
 }

unsigned long ping()
 {
   pinMode(ultraSoundSignal, OUTPUT);           // Switch signalpin to output
   digitalWrite(ultraSoundSignal, LOW);         // Send low pulse
   delayMicroseconds(2);                        // Wait for 2 microseconds
   digitalWrite(ultraSoundSignal, HIGH);        // Send high pulse
   delayMicroseconds(5);                        // Wait for 5 microseconds
   digitalWrite(ultraSoundSignal, LOW);         // Holdoff
   pinMode(ultraSoundSignal, INPUT);            // Switch signalpin to input
   digitalWrite(ultraSoundSignal, HIGH);        // Turn on pullup resistor
   echo = pulseIn(ultraSoundSignal, HIGH);      // Listen for echo
   ultrasoundValue = (echo / 58.138);           // Convert to CM
   return ultrasoundValue;
 }

void loop()
 {
   int x = 0;
   x = ping();

Serial.println(x);
   delay(250);                                  //delay 1/4 seconds.
 }

Why is the same pin used as an input and an output? Why is a low pulse sent, followed by a 2 microsecond gap, followed by a high pulse and then a 5 microsecond gap? What is the pullup resistor?
If someone could explain these things to me, or redirect me to information about this kind of communication, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for my inexperienced questions! ;D

Why the same pin?
All resources on a microcontroller are scarce!

It makes sense that there's only one pin...that was a stupid question. The sensor only has one pin for signals. I'm just not sure why there is a need for some strange sending of pulses, and then waiting for pulses to be sent back. Why not just have the resistance or voltage output on the signal pin? I suppose what I'm trying to ask is why was the sensor made this way?

Why not an analogue voltage?
Because they are difficult (and expensive) for a digital device to generate.
Why send pulses?
To trigger the sensor and start a measurement.

The sensor works by sending out a pulse of ultrasound and listening for the echo. The time between sending the pulse and getting the echo is proportional to the distance of the reflecting object. If the sensor were to have an analogue voltage to read, yes it would be easier to use but it would be a much more expensive sensor as it would have to do the sending, timing and converting to a voltage. The arduino's processing power can do this and so you have a lower cost sensor.

Ah I see! So it's basically designed for use with a microcontroller. That totally makes sense now, along with the digital signal. Thanks!